cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup data on SAN

Kevin_Everts
Level 3
I have a SAN and a tape library that is connected via fibre channel. Is there a way to backup the data on the SAN from a single server instead of having each server backup its own data? I'm going to add a handfull of servers to my SAN in the near future but I can't justify the cost of buying a Backup Exec server and SSO license for each server.
3 REPLIES 3

JP_Martin
Level 2
Buy remote agents and run your backup from a single media server.

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
I'm not sure there are any low cost options for this. Something you'll need to consider is whether each client is "SAN-worthy" of a local backup based on the amount of data and the backup window involved.

The options avaialble other than Shared Storage Option is either LAN based backup, or server-free backup.

The idea behind LAN based backup is to consider using your SSO media servers to also do IP based backups of other clients (in addition to the local SSO backup) in different LAN's than the Prmary backup server. This spreads out the IP traffic across multiple ports/switches, rather than having the Primary do everything, but this depends on your network topography. The cost of this option is remote agents which you may already own. You could get the CASO option (more $) and centrally manage all the media server jobs from the Primary.

server free backup is the concept of either your FC switch or SAN disk controller to create copy -on-write snapshots which can then be presented to the Primary backup server as if they where local drives .
This technology has differnet names depending on the disk vendor
EMC- BCV
HDS- ShadowImage
IBM- Flashcopy
HP BusinessCopy
And usually cost extra $$$$.
Some FC switches use a SCSI protocol called Extended Copy which can write a copy of the data directly to a tape device without having to go through the master server. I know that Veritas netbackup supports this- but I don't believe Backup Exec does. Backup Exec lists a 'Server-Free Option" which used Extended Copy, but I don't beleive it's supported by any of the switch manufactuers yet. (i have seen posts in this forum stating this)

so, consult your disk and switch vendor for solutions. Technology is constantly changing, and maybe they have just the solution for you. If there is something out there that actually saves you money, please post the results!!

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. If you are installing Backup Exec on the four servers then you will
require four Backup Exec base licenses and four SAN option licenses.
2. If you want one Backup Exec server to backup rest of the three servers
then you need one Backup Exec base license, one SAN option license and
three Remote Agent license. Your backup server will run on the regular IP
network.
3.you can perform the backup of the servers that are not connected to
the SAN by using Remote Agent option.

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/268678

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.