cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on using external harddrives for backup

Jordan_Kirby
Not applicable
Hi,

We're running BackupExec for SBS 2003, and currently have it backing up to another server onsite.
We want to expand our backup solution to include offsite backups by way of duplicating the most recent backup set onto an external (usb) harddrive.

I've got the duplicate backup job setup ok, and I've plugged in each drive (one at a time), formatted it, assigned it a different drive letter and added it to a Device Pool ("Removable Disks"). It seems that although the duplicate job is set to copy to the "Removable Disks" device pool, the job generates an alert as it is expecting a specific disk which has to be confirmed for the duplication to take place (not much good for an automated backup).

Also (obviously not an issue with backupexec, more windows but any help would be appreciated). When plugging in the drives they don't seem to keep their drive letter assignments. They seem to randomly choose letters from the few I assigned (W,X,Y,Z) which seems to be affecting backupexec.

Thanks

Jordan
1 REPLY 1

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
There are two methods to run a duplicate backup job, please try the other one to duplicate following a backup job.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.