cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 11d errors

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
Hi All,

I have been trying to sort out an issue with Backup Exec 11d for some time before resorting to getting some assistance on the symantec/veritas forum.

The error i am getting is below.

(Server: "#######") (Job: "Daily Backup") Daily Backup -- The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding.

I am running Backup Exec 11d on a windows 2003 SBS server.
I have installed the updated MDAC2.8.
I have performed a complete re-install of Backup exec.
I have repaired the installation and also repaired the BE database.

This error happens when the backup job is run both manually and automatically scheduled.
I have also completely recreated the job and selection list.
I am only backing up data from a single server to a sony AIT 3 drive, althought the error occurs when backing up to tape and also a backup to disk folder i have created.

I have sat there and watched the backup when it happens, it looks as though it backs up fine, then it verifies fine, then just seems to stall and the job changes it's state to recovered and starts again. Eventually it times out and reports the above error message.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers.
12 REPLIES 12

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Happened to me, my solution was to turn verification off, otherwise I had to intervene every day. I put a post in on the 11d forum and the only reponse I got from Symantec staff was "Please update us on this" considering there was no solution provided in the thread I though it was obvious that the problem was not solved.

Parag_Ghatkar
Level 3
How much is RAM on BE Server.
Start BE Job Engine Service manually, then start job for backup.

Regards

Parag

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, but the verify thing still did not resolve the issue.
I am still getting the same error, i am also getting an error now after the job finishes as follows:

(Server: "#######") (Job: "Database Maintenance") Summary of database maintenance activity:

* Saved contents of BEDB database

Maintenance has failed: 10, Dump database failed
Total elapsed time: 00:00:41

Does this give anyone any more clues as to what is going on...?
I have tried what Parag mentioned also. The BE server has 2Gb of RAM, although this has nothing to do with the issue as it has worked in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
Any Suggestions? Do Symantec technicians answer posts in this forum?

Cheers.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Have you turned up your logging (tools/options) you will get more info and you may see where your verify is falling down.

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
I have turned the verify off completely and the job is still failing. I don't believe it is an issue with just the verify portion of the job, it is an issue with the job as a whole.

I have tested and the tapes can be restored from successfully, they contain all valid data, but the job never 100% completes as it seems to not be able to contact the job service so always reports as failed.

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
That error message is a database maintenance issue, is your database maintenance schedule clashing with your backup? If so you need to change the database maintenance schedule

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
No, I checked that as well, the database maintenance runs at 7AM and the backup is finished well before then (approx. 2AM).

I think it may be bringing up this error now because the job is still 'technically' running when the database maintenance is starting (i.e. the job does not time out until 8AM on the event of a failure, i might change this to 6AM to stop the database maintenance errors).

If i can fix the original problem with the job not completing and always timing out then the database maintenance one will go away also.

Thanks for your advice, hopefully with the help of the people on this forum i can get this sorted.
Cheers.Message was edited by:
Leif Pedersen

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Is this job controlled by a policy, when I had similar issues I turned verify off but I also created a new job and selection list without using a poicy.

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
No, this job is not managed by a policy, it is a single job with a single selection list which have both been re-created both before and after re-installing the software completely. This problem does not want to quit. :(

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Kick it

Leif_Pedersen
Level 3
Hahaha, I wish I could...

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance and thanks to Philip for his previous suggestions.