cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 11d odd performance issue? (reinstall or fix?)

lk_2
Level 3
Hi

Ive recently had random performance issue with 3 out of 11 servers ( speeds is aroud 3MB/min ) where i have upgraded everything reinstalled the clients, and moved them to a seperate switch - which dident give me anything.

then i have tried adding a new BE 11d server (based on a laptop for testingn purposes) ad the the speeds are fine, are there ay conclusion to fix this or is it just a simple reinstall of the backup exec server? i mean can you run any kind of repair.

Backup exec is running Service pack 2 , but i fairly doubt there is ay other options tha a clean reinstall??.

hope to hear from anyone :)
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For speeds that low, the first thing I'd check is to verify that AutoNegotiate is NOT enabled on any NIC/switch port  between the media server and the target server

hard set each end of each pipe to the fastest speed that each end will support

lk_2
Level 3
hi Ken

Well, i just tried adding an newly installated backup exec 11d (just updated) - and with celeron 2,8 ghz ad with the same server i got full speed (other backup server and target server i wanna backup is connected with gigabit).

So i doubt it has anything to do with the NICs :)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you try a large file copy  (disk to disk)  from/to the media server and the target server, do you get decent speed, or does it crawl also?

lk_2
Level 3
Hi ken.

Im sorry to have bothered you with this - i foud the solution actually

we had a bad nic drivers (on a monitoring nic) and it seemed like some of the jobs went through its internal 100mbit nic instead of the 1gbit nic for the internal network.

This is unexplainable since i had 6 other servers that ran correctly so after updating nic drivers and do some parameter changing it seems to be running now.

Heh.. i dont really get it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
No prob.

Glad you got it straightened out