cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 12.5 error-e0008c48,the backup storage device has failed

rajkamath
Level 3
Greetings,

On a regular basis, i seem to get this error e0008c48-the backupstorage device has failed. I have a hp lto2 tape drive.have upgraded the firmware etc on the drive and the vendor has told that there is nothing wrong with their hard ware device.

Have been with symantec support as well and was told it is a hardware issue.recreated the database and the whole backup job setup and the errors had gone for sometime . If i go into restore, i can see all the files that have been backed up,

cant understand what this error message refers to. The symantec support guy told to check for event viewers in the server, but never could find any other than the application errors relating to backup exec.

Please advise how to fix this thing.

ALl the tapes that are being used are out of the box brand new ones. I am using 12.5d with sp2

Raj 
2 REPLIES 2

rajkamath
Level 3
 event ids 34113,57665 and 33152 are the only ones that logged under event viewer .

for 33152 event id
---------------------------
Adamm Mover Error: Read Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "HP 1"
    {89F91D3D-0C72-4D88-B7D8-6F5850EB26BE}
Media = "Tape9"
    {8496E0FB-4EE4-4354-9209-5D0FDF494204}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

for 57665 event id
------------------------------
Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

For more information, click the following link: 
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

for event id 34113
-----------------------------

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "MIP-FP") (Job: "DC/SQl/fp") DC/SQl/fp -- The job failed with the following error: The backup storage device has failed.

For more information, click the following link: 
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

rajkamath
Level 3
Greetings,

just to update,

i went and made registry changes to the os to increase the page file to max, following one  of the symantec's own tech article and for the last three days, backups are happenign without any errors.

had a long chat with the hardware vendor who concluded that there is nothign wrong with the  hardware and native windows backups are happenign fine with out any issues.

:)