cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2010 view size of backup job

asdlighting
Level 2
I`m very new to BE2010, it was installed and configured for us but since then I`ve changed the data which is backed up. A dead easy question which should have a dead easy answer, now I`ve setup the job how can I see the amount of data the job will backup so I can check if my media will do it or if I have to break the job up into jobs for alternate days? The job is setup on a schedule but the only way I`ve come across of seeing the backup size is the Sceduled Server Workload report which returns nothing.
5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can't see the size of the backup until it is done.  There is no way for BE to forecast the amount of data that it has to back up.

asdlighting
Level 2
I find this hard to believe.

Given a bit of time I could add up the sizes of the files/folders I`ve added to the job so how come BE can`t do that?

This is a very basic piece of information I would want to know having decided on the data I want to back up. I can then see if the job can be done with the media available.

tech29
Level 6
Hi There,

As I understand from your post, you would like to find out if the available media will be sufficient for your backups, as stated by Pkh, there is no way to find out what amount of data the job will backup, however, by running a test backup job, you may find out whether the available media will be sufficient for the backup job.

Please refer to the following technote for test jobs.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/253164.htm

Regards,
tech29

asdlighting
Level 2

Thanks for that Mr 29

The test job was one of my attempts at discovering the backup size however the job fails with an overwrite error although the media is set to overwrite and the job is set to overwrite but I wasn`t sure if this was as a result of the job being too big for the media.
I take it that in this report the Total byte count is the size of the backup job? About 167GB which is well within the capacity of the media.

Backup job name : Full Daily Backup
Test run status : Fail
Media protection: Overwrite
Target device : HP 1
Target media : ASD Media
Total byte count: 179,278,312,254

tech29
Level 6
Hi There,

As per my experience with Test jobs so far.. the test jobs will normally fail with some error message, however, if you run the actual job the job will be successful.  So you really cannot totally relay on this Test job feature from Symantec. However, you may consider the byte count provided by this test job as the actual byte count.

Regards,
tech29