cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2014 Add server wizard fails at c++ redistributable install

LegAEI
Level 5

I'm having an issue in the past couple weeks that I can no longer add servers to backup exec through the management console. I can install from the RAWS directory locally just fine, however, I have a good number of servers and more come online almost every day so it would be very beneficial for me to be able to use the console to manage installs.

I have tracked down the error on the windows side to eventID 10036 from the MsiInstaller:

Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 -- The profile for the user is a temporary profile.

(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

This happens for all versions of Windows server I try to install to. I have googled and searched the forum and have found an article that references something about the DVD, however, nothing about this "The profile for the user is a temporary profile" error.

I do also recieve a 1511 logon error from the User Profile Service saying my symantec user is being logged in with a temporary profile.

My symantec user is part of the domain admins group and I have in my GPO for the user to log on as a service. I've installed over 70 servers through the console, this change is recent, and I have yet to run liveupdate.

Could there possibly be a C++ update through windows update that the push isn't checking for? I don't see one installed on my new servers (windows 2012r2.)

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

gpn43
Level 3

I had this same problem. I looked for hours for a solution. The only way I was able to get around it was to manually install the agent on all the servers. Here is how I did it - 

- Copy the RAWS32 and RAWSX64 folders from 'C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents' and place them in a folder. On the backup exec disk, copy the VCRedist folder from BE\WinNT\Install\VCRedist. Place the VCRedist folder in the same folder as the RAWS folders you copied before. 

- Share that folder, try installing manually on your servers (obviously 32/64 raws depending on server OS). It succeeded for me, and I was able to add the server in BE after. Most of them will probably require a reboot to be backed up.

I still don't know the root of the cause. I tried re-insatlling BE2014 and repairing it once it was installed. Still not sure what caused the C++ to fail, but the workaround is sufficient for me. 

Hope that helps. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See this comment https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be-2014-remote-agent-install-failing#comment-10234681

LegAEI
Level 5

I'm confused by that comment, pkh, it appears to me that the person is giving advice on how to create a dvd with patches installed for locally installing RAWS to a server. Am I reading it wrong?

LegAEI
Level 5

Just so everyone is on the same page here, I can install localy without any issue. I have a lot of servers to manage with this program, installing manually on each machine would take up a good amount of time for me whenever there is a patch.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You are reading it correctly.

LegAEI
Level 5

I have decided to open a support case for this issue. Manually installing is not going to be feasible for my organization. I'll update this thread with whatever we find out.

LegAEI
Level 5

Symantec support gave me a link to a tech article that states this is a known issue and the development team is working on a fix. The article states the issue is with 2003 server, but the tech has said it applies to all operating systems.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH218124

This doesn't appear to have much to do with my issue, but the tech said this was the issue and closed his case.

"Waiting on hotfix or service pack release" is the official answer.

MePERS
Level 2

Has there been any updates on this issue? I'm even unable to install manually on a 2012 R2 Server. I copied the RAWS locally to the desktop under an admin account. Ran as admin, no luck. I have also installed the C++ V11 separately and restarted the server. Thoughts?