cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 2014 Server 2012(storage) and RDX cartridges not available

Dkata
Level 2

Hi,

Im new to this version of backup exec,  and am in the process of (attempting) to configure some RDX drives as Disk cartridge devices, however  this option is greyed out.  Under configure storage  it shows as "there are no  unconfigured disk cartrige devices on the system".  I've  tried restarting the Backup exec services after inserting the drive and  it shows in  Computer(this pc in server 22012)  as a removeable device,  Why doesn't Symantec recognize it , any tricks to  get this working?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you tried to configure it as a removable drive in BE itself?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are the RDX drives functioning correctly in the the Windows Device Manager? They have to be before BE can use them

Dkata
Level 2

Thanks for the reply,

It  will allow me to configure it as a USB Drive(B2D) under  storage configuration but not as a removable cartridge,  in device manager it looks perfectly fine and functions as a removeable drive in windows explorer.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Does the RDX drive has a USB connection?  If so, then this might be expected.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you post a screenshot as to how it appears in the Device Manager ?

If it appears as a fixed disk, then it will appear as a Disk Storage in BE, whereas if it appears as a removable disk, then it will appear as a Disk Cartridge in BE.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For RDX you configure the chasis (with one cartridge inserted) once to set it up - from then on you just change the cartridge and leave the chassis connected. As such you will get an error if you have already configured the chassis and then try to configure it again just bacuse you changed the inserted cartridge

As VJware has said (although you can look in My Computer and not Device Manager)

RDX will show up in the removable disk section in My Computer if it does not then BE won't see it as removable

USB HDD (despite being detachable) will show up in the fixed disk section in My Computer

USB Flash drives nomally show up as Removable (but some hardware vendors have coded them to show up as fixed) 

How they show up in My Computer directly affects how BE will let you configure them in the storage wizard