cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec and NetBackup

John_Bouman
Not applicable
I have a client who needs to send me his Oracle database on LTO1 media. We are both using Windows 2000 servers with LTO1 tape drives, He is using Netbackup v.5.0 for Windows and I am using Backup Exec for Windows v.10.0. Can I restore his database from this media to my server?
2 REPLIES 2

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

No. The data from a Backup-Exec backup is in MTF format, whereas NetBackup uses GNU TAR format. NetBackup will not be able to read data from a Backup-Exec tape since it is not in GNU tar format.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Deepali,
The data from a Backup-Exec backup is in MTF format, whereas NetBackup uses GNU TAR format. True, but....NetBackup can read the tape after an import has been done.

NetBackup can restore backup Exec images after it imports them.
Backup Exec can NOT restore Netbackup images.

Something I have not played around with is attempting to use the VERITAS tar executable to restore to a windows server.
But I have used the VERITAS tar to restore via the commandline in a UNIX situation. I used mt to mount the tape and I used fsf to get to the position on the tape and then I used the VERITAS tar to extract the image from the tape. All of this was done outside of NetBackup! I don't know if this series of commands can be done on a windows platformMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump