cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec recovery of files in program files (x86)

ALSIPR
Level 2

I have a client who just had their server drives stolen. We were one week from bringing a new server on board. Client had a Windows 2008 SBS server that I have been trying to replace for years. We were finally in process to replace when the drives were taken. I have a full backup on tape done in a old version of the Backup Exec. I have been able to do the following. I have been able to setup a temp server for them - Windows 2008 R2 which is fully patched. I installed 2014 and  I was able to merge and catalog the tape backup and all worked. I was able to restore all their data files with no issue. The problem that I have now is that I need to restore a folder a third party vendor left in program files. In the catalog none of the system folders are visible even though the entire server was backed up nightly. I also have a backup of the exchange server and need to restore one mailbox. My main concern is the program files (x86) folder that is not there. Where are those files lcoated if anywhere? I told the vendor to use another location but they asured me all was good. This is a client I work on once a year when the lose a file or two or need to update something and of course it is my fault. I could have sworn the entire server was backed up. If I have to do a complete restore I will but I would prefer not to if I can avoid it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec silently excludes file system content that should be backed up another way, so specifically for this example if the missing files were classified as part of the System State that would not be becked up via the drive letter.

Typically applications that install as services or those that apply drivers (including filters drivers) may end up as part of the system state. (although if they store their data in the program files folder structure, then the data files normally would not be part of the system state.)

The System State backup is only usually used for DR restore where you are trying to get back the original OS  and service level drivers and applications - it cannot really be used where you are using a different OS. If you cannot do a system state restore (because of changes to OS etc) then to get back an application you would usually have to re-install it anyway, as just recovering the files would not correctly register the application into the OS. 

Note: If the files are in a system state backup , then you can redirect it's restore to a temporary folder and then take a look inside the temp folder once the restore completes .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

are you sure the original server was a 64-bit server? because if it was a 32-bit server the was no folder "program files (x86). this is only available on a 64-bit server.

Colin_Weaver

Backup Exec silently excludes file system content that should be backed up another way, so specifically for this example if the missing files were classified as part of the System State that would not be becked up via the drive letter.

Typically applications that install as services or those that apply drivers (including filters drivers) may end up as part of the system state. (although if they store their data in the program files folder structure, then the data files normally would not be part of the system state.)

The System State backup is only usually used for DR restore where you are trying to get back the original OS  and service level drivers and applications - it cannot really be used where you are using a different OS. If you cannot do a system state restore (because of changes to OS etc) then to get back an application you would usually have to re-install it anyway, as just recovering the files would not correctly register the application into the OS. 

Note: If the files are in a system state backup , then you can redirect it's restore to a temporary folder and then take a look inside the temp folder once the restore completes .

So the plot thickens. I figured out how to do the system state restore to another location but the files I am looking for are not there. When I looked at the log for that day it states backup failed but that only 1 corrupt file and 114 were skipped and 75 GB backed up . In actuality it was more like 100000 were skipped and 125 GB should have been backed up. Backup exec then compares the files and says everything is good. During this same backup hundred of files in SystemState also don't backup. I have a strong suspicion that the tape drive is bad and somehow times out doing the C drive but then keeps chugging along and even verifies correctly. The only other item could be the VSS service is not doing its job. The concern to me tis that Backup exec really doesn't have an issue. In addition there are files in the catalog that when I try ot restore the job says ti was succesful but the log says 0 files out of 2 restored. Not sure how that can be succesful ?? Yes I am running old version 2012 / 2010 2014 but there is something very very wrong here. 

Colin_Weaver

Is DFSR setup on the system as that also is silently excluded because you shoud back that up with Shadopw Copy Component backups