Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec storage

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello guys,

Is it possible to have Backup exec 2012, to use a Dell Inc. PowerVault NX3100 server with Windows Server 2008 Storage Server Standard Service Pack 2 installed on it as the preferred storage device. It is connected to the network via a network ethernet cable.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

This question was asked a couple of days ago. The device isn't shown on the Backup Exec 2012 HCL, but since it is capable of iSCSI you should be able to get away with carving our iSCSI disks, presenting them to the backup server and spanning them there if necessary.

Once done, you can create your B2D folder on what is essentially a locally-attached HDD.

THanks!

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@ craig, thanks for the info, but if i may ask how would the connection look like for instance...

I have installed my backup exec 2012 on a windows server 2008 hp server...

Would the Dell be connected directly to the backup exec 2012 server via a iSCSI interface on the Dell server or would it be through a switch via ethernet cable.

NeerThadarai
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

It shouldn't matter as long as you have a persistent connection and the drives are shown as local drives to the BE 2012 servers where you can create B2D destination for the backups.

CraigV

Hi,

We have 1 site (out of about 16) as a DAS using an Iomega ix4-200. The reason for this being a lack of switch ports on a 1GB Cisco switch.

Everything else runs through LAN switches with no hassles whatsoever.

Windows Server 2008 R2 has a built-in iSCSI initiator that works really well (it's not as fast as an iSCSI HBA, but it works well). This is the ONLY place you'd see those drives differently. Windows sees the drives as local drives, and this is what they look like in the storage section too.

Thanks!

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

But, i hope the operating system that is currently running Windows Server 2008 Storage Server Standard Service Pack 2 is fine and there would be no reason to upgrade.

CraigV

...the BE 2012 SCL shows Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 as the currently supported version, but SP2 could be on a newer version.

Download it and check...otherwise, although you'd essentially be running an unsupported OS, I don't think there is that much of a difference between the versions (besides the obvious patch roll-ups etc).

Thanks!

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

According I well understand, if the BE server is installed on first server (HP in your case), and if you are able to create a CIFS windows share on the Poweredge, You can create a Storage container to use it from BE.

According permissions are well configured on the NAS, you can use a network share as BE backups repository. Follow this to configure:

Configure storage Wizzard > select Disk Storage (should be the upper one in the list) (next) > select Disk Storage (next) > give a name (next) > select Network share and enter the share like this \\IP_address(orFQDN)\Share_name (example: \\10.7.2.27\rhevnfs)

Regards

Chukwuemeka
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi guys thanks for all your contribution, but i am a bit confused now..

In some few detailed steps, how do i manage my BE 2012 as regards a storage to use,

As i previously stated the  Dell Inc. PowerVault NX3100 server has 20TB of hard drive space in it, and it is currently connected to the network via an ethernet cable.

My question now is should i just recommend a new storage device etc(Iomega,NetApp,HP etc) or if i have to make use of the  Dell Inc. PowerVault NX3100 server what should i install on the server, or how should i configure the server so that BE can see it as a storage device.

thanks

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can use your poweredge according you are able to configure a CIFS (windows) share on it. If it is installed with a windows OS, create a share on it (right clic a folder > Share).

For that share, you should allow the BE server administrator account to access the share.

according your Poweredge server name is MyPoweredgeServer and the share name is myShare, you should be able to open the share from the BE serveur by executing \\MyPoweredgeServer\MyShare (enter this is the execute field from the startup menu.

If that share successfully open, you can use instruction I gave in my previous message.

Regards

CraigV

20TB of disk space is a lot! Especially if your backup sets aren't expected to be large, or you're doing INCR/DIFF/Dedupe-based backups.

Do you need an extra device? If not, hang onto that cash for something else, or when you really need storage and can afford a large Iomega NAS/EMC VNXs for example!