cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec suddenly "not available" on remote servers

Rex_Tranter
Level 2
We have been running Backup Exec ver 9.1 Rev 4691 with Remote Agent (2 remote servers) and MS exchange agent for over a year with no incidents - suddenly one day, the backup finishes the local server and stops before proceeding to the other remotes. There is no error message, no alerts. The job monitor simply shows the tape running, but no bytes are being backed up and the tape never ejects - the backup simply hangs.
Examining the backup job, the remote servers display as "not selectable". And when looking at their properties, they show Remote again installed and running, but Backup Exec as not installed and not available.
Both servers show the backup exec services running. I have tried to stop/start service on all machines - but this doesn't help. Unfortunately, again, there are no errors and nothing seems to show in the even logs on the serves.
Anyone experience this?
3 REPLIES 3

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Also try installing SP3 for BE 9.1 and then observe the result.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278302

To isolate the cause try taking the backup on backup to disk folder and then observe the result.

Can you select these remote servers from Backup tab, are all the resources displayed?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rex_Tranter
Level 2
Thanks for your response.
Yes, if I were to create a new backup job, or even edit an existing job, the servers and all their drives/folders are displayed - even individual files. It allows you to actually mark the folders/files for selection. But hovering the cursor over the "remote selections" tree - it says "...not selectable for backup, displayed for informational browsing purposes only".
If you right click on the actual server names in this tree, and take properties, it will say that Backup exec is not installed and not available. Yet it shows remote agent in stalled and running.
Do you know if this SP version is incremental (I dont know if I have SVP 2 or not) or can I install anyway.
thanks
~Rex

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please check if there are network timeouts and lost packages. Try pingin the servers and check network connectivity errors.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.