cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9.1 service pack 2

Dave_Hengstebec
Level 3
Does sp2 replace beremote.exe? It does fix the security issues announced in late June? I understand the remote agents needs to be re-installed after sp2 is installed, which bring me back to the first question(what date and version should be beremote.exe)? How can I tell I'm patched from my backup server? thanks

Dave
7 REPLIES 7

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Following are the two ways to verify that the Service Pack 2 has been applied to Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows Servers.

Method I
1. Click on Tools | VERITAS Update
2. Click on List Updates
3. Under Installed Updates, Backup Exec 9.1 Revision 44691 SP 2 will be listed.

Method II

Check the actual file versions in a BEDIAG.
please refer to the foll technote to create a bediag:
http://library.veritas.com/docs/254238

The file versions can be found in the "Backup Exec file versions on \\server" section under the FileVer column.

The following is a list of updated files that can be found in a BEDIAG of the Backup Exec 9.1 for Windows Servers server and their file versions.

Name of the file and file version

bengine.exe

beremote.exe

drprepwizard.exe

becatsrv.dll

pvlsvr.exe

beclass.dll

bedsnt5.dll

bedsshadow.dll

Please update us the results.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dave_Hengstebec
Level 3
I ran bediag, and indeed the file versions are updated, at least on the BE media server, I understand the remote agents needs to be re-installed on the remoter servers? Beremote is listed on remote servers as 9.14691.
Can this be done from the original cd or does it need to be done from the rant32 directory on the backup server? (Tried running setup.exe from this dir and the setup screen starts then stops) and get app event logged: msi installer failed to connect to server 0x800401f0. Thanks.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

If you want to reinstall remote agents please follow the technote to do a manual install:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265736

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dave_Hengstebec
Level 3
Okay that gave me the dos box real quick but no service installed, what else can I try? please. As for the 1st suggestion, (cd install) isn't the whole point to get it to 9.1.4691.35 thanks !

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

have you uninstalle the remote agents and then reinstalled them using the silent install proedure.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Dave_Hengstebec
Level 3
The silent install is not working as stated in the last post. I may need to reboot the server(s) to complete the uninstall?

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

In case you have uninstalled the remote agent, you will need to reboot the server before trying the reinstall. If the issue persists, revert with details as follows:
- Check for the bepushes log and find for error in that on the remote server
- also look for the log bkupinst on the remote server and find the errors.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.