cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failed due to Compression issue

Level 2
Greetings,

Hi all, i am using a compaq proliant ML370 with a compaq SDT-10000 tape drive & DDS 4 media.

Ever since i installed veritas ver. 10 with SP1 in this win2003 machine, my backup is always failed due to media not having enough capacity to backup the harddisk. As ia m using a DDS4 media, and compression has been enabled in my tape drive, i thought it should not be a problem to backup the whole harddisk, which is about 33GB!

I have increase the block size to 64K but to no avail.

I realised others are also having similar problem but it seems that there is no proper answer on this issue. I have search the veritas KB for this issue and do whatever it suggest but i still get the same error.

I really hope there is a way to this problematic issue.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Martin_Chua
Level 3
I faced the same problem too. The h/w compression is simply not working that's why Veritas always report MEDIA FULL in its log.

Can anyone verify does this happen to only DAT tape drive?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Compression type Select one of the following:

* None. Select this option to copy the data to the media in its
original form (uncompressed). Using some form of data
compression can help expedite backups and preserve storage media space. Hardware data compression should not be used in environments where devices that support hardware compression are used interchangeably with devices that do not have that functionality.
For example, if a drive that does not support hardware
compression is added to a cascaded drive pool that includes drives supporting the feature, hardware compression is automatically disabled. You can manually re-enable hardware compression on the drives that support it, but this results in media inconsistency. If the drive that supports hardware compression fails, the compressed media cannot be restored with the non-compression drive.

* Software. Select this option to use STAC software data
compression, which compresses the data before it is sent to the storage device.

* Hardware . Select this option to use hardware data compression (if the storage device supports it). If the drive does not feature data compression the data is backed up uncompressed.

* Hardware . Select this option to use hardware data compression (if the storage device supports it). If the drive does not feature hardware data compression, STAC software compression is used.

You can also refer to the Administartor's Guide :page number 119 onwards

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

Thank you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Alice_Stewart
Level 5
It is definitely happening with other tape devices. I currently have a thread going about my Dell 132T autoloader. I have 15 identical tapes in the autoloader. Some tapes will hold over 140GB, while others only hold 134GB. I have yet to get a resolution from the forum OR Veritas.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello 548901931,

Please tell us if the previous post has helped you, if not please revert with updates on the issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Level 2
Greetings,

Hi, sorry for the late reply as i have been trying hard to resolve the strange compression problems that i have.

Hi Renuka, thanks for yr previous post but sad to said, it doesnt help to solve the problem.

I have tried using an OEM driver for my tape drive (Compaq SDT-10000) and software compression, both method doesnt work.

Presently i have to de-select a few folder every day inorder to complete the backup. This is not a permenant solution though. I need a solution fast and appreciate your help on this.

BTW, my desk is full of stack of veritas KB notes on this issue but none of its propose solution work!

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
Hi,

Since you seem to be using hardware compression, it would be a good idea to see that everything with the device is perfect. With this, I mean you could upgrade the drivers to the latest, upgrade the Firmware to the latest version too.

Please do the needful and kindly update us on the issue.

Thanks!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Martin_Chua
Level 3
I'm using the latest firmware & latest Veritas driver for my tape drive.

The tape drive is functioning properly under Veritas v9.1 & Windows native NTBACKUP program.

I am able to backup using just software compression.

Even upgrading to the latest build 5520 released on 31 May 2005 doesn't help the situation.

Can Veritas expedite this issue instead of beating around the bush? There are already numerous threads & support calls to Veritas regarding this bug, please check it out yourself.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Run along erase on the tape and then verify results.
Hardware compression is done by the device itself. When you use hardware compression option on Backup Exec (BE), BE commands the hardware to go ahead with the compression. However the hardware compression depends on the device. The device should support Hardware Compression.
We advice you to contact your Vendor for more information of the same.

Please go through the following document.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.