cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup failed while backing up Exchange 2003 front end server.

Joel_F
Level 3
Ever since we moved to Backup Exec v11d on our Exchange server, my backup has failed on our Exchange front end server.  The server running Backup Exec is our Exchange server hosting our user accounts.  The remote agent is installed on the Front End server.  The resource credentials have been tested and they work.  The specfic failure is:
V-79-57344-33928 - Access is denied.
Access denied to directory.
Access is denied to Remote Agent.  Check the login account for the specified device.

It does back up the Front End server, but it fails every day with this message.  I am patched up to Hotfix 21 (it's nearly impossible to find an appropriate time to patch our Exchange server and restart). 

I have performed a backup to disk successfully as a test and I have recreated the nightly backup job, which backs up to an HP SDLT 600 tape drive.  I suspect the culprit is the fact that GRT is enabled for Exchange in the backup properties, and since the Front End server doesn't have any user mailboxes on it, it fails.  This has been going since Feb.

Thanks
Joel
2 REPLIES 2

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
HI GSB,

Have you test using legacy backup method.  You are right if GRT is enable and the frond end server does not have mailbox it will failed.

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

Joel_F
Level 3
Thank you for your reply.  Since this backup job backs up both the Exchange server and the Front End server, is it possible to have 1 job back up both in the appropriate modes?  I mean, can I perform a GRT backup of the Exchange server, but not on the Front End Exchange server?  It would be nice to come in one day and not have to look at a Job Failed and see if it was really a failure or if it's this daily reoccuring issue.  I currently have my job set to backup the entire Exchange server, Mailbox store and Public Folder stores, and on the Front End server, I have it set to back up the Microsoft Information store/First Storage group, but Mailbox Store and Public Folder stores are both unchecked.  Is it really worth backing up the First Storage group on an Front End server?  Seems this server is just providing an Exchange environment service, and not any user mailboxes.

Thanks,
Joel