cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup fails due to bad message in Top of Information Store-how do I delete

Mark_Dondero
Level 3
Backup - \\MAILCLUSTER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes WARNING: "\\MAILCLUSTER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Darren Hogg Top of Information StoreSent Items�〰〰〰〰〱㝣戸攱愶愰㑤ㄱ㤹㘲〰ぢつ戴昹㐴㜰〰ㄲ敢戸攱愶愰㑤ㄱ㤹㘲〰ぢつ戴昹㐴〰〰〰〰㍤捦〰〰㘵㈳㤰搳搶㘳㐰㐴㜸㡤扢㌴〰㍢㠰㘲〰〰㘰㝤㜳㍦〰〰" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

I have a corrupt message inhibiting several of my "bricks" jobs from completing. How can I remove this message from all mailboxes?
13 REPLIES 13

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Is is a remote backup or a local?

- Is any antivirus running?

- What is the version of exchange?

- Kindly refer the following Document:

When backing up Microsoft Exchange 5.5 / 2000/2003 individual mailboxes, the message " WARNING: "?Top of Information Store?? " is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify." is returned in the backup log as an exception in Backup Exec.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255047

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Mark_Dondero
Level 3
This is a local media server backup performing "bricks" mailbox backup jobs on Veritas 9.1 to a Sony tape carosel.
Running Norton AV corporate, but the directories\information store are excluded from scan.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Mark,

Have you tried just backing up the mailbox that is giving this error?

For test purposes please disable the AV and then verify the results.

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mark_Dondero
Level 3
I get the same results when backing up that indibvidual mailbox with NAV disabled. I might add that I am backing up to disk not tape.

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Friday, February 17, 2006 at 7:03:45 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup - \\MAILCLUSTER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Database or database element is corrupt

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Backup - \\MAILCLUSTER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes WARNING: "\\MAILCLUSTER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Gladys Underwood Top of Information StoreInbox2004 Files4th Qrt 2004Œ〰〰〰〰戲摣愸㍢ㄵ㕣㘸〴㍢戸㘰㜸换慤㔴ㄸ㜰〰㘰ㅥㄶ㘰ㄳ愲㐵㘴㐹捣㕤て〲㠷愵愰〰〰㄰㜳扦昵〰〰㘰ㅥㄶ㘰ㄳ愲㐵㘴㐹捣㕤て〲㠷愵愰〰〰㄰㠳慡昷〰〰OfotoFamily 9.21.04.jpg/ My son Daniel.." is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
May sound like a dumb point, but have you actually checked the Sent Items folder of the user? You can do this if you're network admin, change your Outlook profile to their username and bring up their email. Then just have a look.

I don't know how you would do it from all mailboxes simultaneously. Something like Exmerge would be nice, but unfortunately it copies mail from a mailbox to a PST, it doesn't move it.

This kind of thing crops up for me occasionally. Maybe I'm lucky as it's only ever one user at a time. Seems to have something to do with the evil Blackberry...

Mark_Dondero
Level 3
Yes, as the email administrator, it was my first thought!
Just remove it from the mailbox, but it does not show up or come up during a search.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
OK well in that case you could try the MDBVU32.exe to try and get rid of the messages.

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Should be able to download it for your version of Exchange on microsoft.com

Mark_Dondero
Level 3
I'll give it a try...

Nathan_Miller
Level 4
Be careful with what you do there - you're messing with hidden configurations and data of someones mailbox. Be sure to read the documentation carefully and don't make any assumptions.

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Mark

You didn't tell us if you have checked the following :

* Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (a message attached to a message attached to a message etc.). Remove message.
* Automated system messages (undeliverable, over size limit etc.). Remove message.
* The message / attachment is really corrupt (can't be opened, viewed, or executed). Remove message.
* Virus infected Information Store (clean for virus)
* Very long subject lines. Remove message.
* Very long attachment names. Remove message.
* Very large attachments (might give out of resource like errors). Remove message.

* Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (a message attached to a message attached to a message etc.). Remove message.
* Automated system messages (undeliverable, over size limit etc.). Remove message.
* The message / attachment is really corrupt (can't be opened, viewed, or executed). Remove message.
* Very long subject lines. Remove message.
* Very long attachment names. Remove message.
* Very large attachments (might give out of resource like errors). Remove message.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Mark_Dondero
Level 3
* Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (a message attached to a message attached to a message etc.).
That does not appear to be the case

Remove message.
Yeah, how do I do that? (purpose of my post!!!)

Not the case here

* The message / attachment is really corrupt (can't be opened, viewed, or executed).
I believe this is the case....

Remove message.
Again, HOW?

Dont think so, but I'll scan the information store

* Very long subject lines.
no..

Remove message.
Again, how?
* Very long attachment names.
Not the case here

Remove message
HOW????????????????

* Very large attachments (might give out of resource like errors).
Not the case

Remove message.
HOW??????????????

Guys, we could speculate all day as to the nature of this message, What I need isa solution to remove it once and for all!

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
The point is the message is the problem and finding it/deleting it is the solution. If nothing is obvious viewing the mailbox in Outlook, either MDBVU or MFCMAPI from Microsoft can be used to determine if there are messages visible that you don't see in Outlook. Last resort is to use Exmerge to export all contents of the mailbox, delete and purge the mailbox from Exchange, recreate the mailbox and import with exmerge... This process will eliminate any problem messages.