cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup is splitting up onto two tapes

Level 2
I am running Backup exec on a win2k advanced server.

Everything was fine with the backup, and all of a sudden it asks to remove the travan 40 GB tape and put in a new tape to finish the scheduled backup. MY backup is well under 40GB (26-30 GB). What can I do to make the backup finish and complete the job on one tape?
2 REPLIES 2

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
I'm not 100% certain about Travan media, but I believe the 40GB tapes you're using are in fact 20/40 tapes, eg 20GB native, 40GB compressed. This is mearly a guide, and does not mean that you can actually get 40GB onto the tape. It assumes that you will get a 2:1 compression ratio, however in the real world you're more likely to get something like 1.2:1, which might explain why you're running out of space.

Assuming I'm right about the type of tape, the only thing you can really do is either reduce the amount of data you are trying to backup, or change to a higher capacity tape.

Level 2
I am thinking you are probably right. The backup stops around 26 ish gigabytes. I moved some old data out of the backup up job to bring it closer to 20.

thank you.