cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup job stalls after remote agent update

nettech98
Level 3

Media server is SBS 2011 running BE 2010 R2 v4164.  Remote server is Server 2008 R2 Standard running remote agent v4164.  Backup device is Dell RD1000.

Everything was working fine until BE informed me I had to update the remote agent.  A push install didn't work, so I copied the install files to the server and performed a manual install. 

Ever since the update, the job hangs/stalls at a random point during the backup of the remote server.  I then restart the remote agent service to cause loss of connection, and the job continues to verify and end (failing of course).

I have updated the network drivers and BIOS on the remote server.  File transfers still work at normal speed.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the remote agent.  Push install still fails. 

The only thing that has changed is the update of the remote agent, and of course the automatic update of the BE software on the media server.

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

SBS 2011 as media server is fully supported with BE 2010 R3...rev 5204..Would strongly suggest you to upgrade to R3..

nettech98
Level 3

I will try that, but any other complaints like mine?  Would like a short term fix to get a backup before I have the chance to upgrade.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

No. Haven't heard of any such complaints happening after the updates.

So upgrading to BE 2010 R3 will be the only good option as that is the only version which fully supports SBS 2011.

Thanks,

-Sush...

nettech98
Level 3

I completed the upgrade.  Push install would not work (even though the 'tester' said it would) so again I copied the files and did a local install of the remote agent.

During the first backup, I received a notification "The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec cannot connect to the remote agent because a trust relationship was not established between the remote agent and the media server.  To establish a trust relationship, add the remote agent to the Favorite Resources in the backup selections tree."

I did as was instructed, and now I have the original problem back - a hang at a random spot while backing up the remote (this time in the Program Files directory).

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you do your file backup, did you enable AOFO to handle opened files?

ST_IT_Man
Level 2

I have same problem before, and here is my step, FYR~

Senario:

BE 2010 upgrade to 2010 R3 by 2010 R3 ISO image, and there already has one Exchange 2007 SP3 in backup with installed agent.

After upgrade, I encounter the same problem like you.

What I do to solved:

1. Remove the Exchange from "Tools" => "Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers...".

2. Uninstall Remote Agent from Exchnage local.

3. Install Remote Agent by 2010 R3 ISO image on Exchange local.

4. Back to BE Media Server and open the Management and use "Tools" => "Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers...".

5. Re-join the Exchange server and it work!!

nettech98
Level 3

You sound like you have Exchange on the remote server.  Mine is on the SBS server (where BE is installed as media server) and the problem I am having is on a remote 2008 Standard at random points.  Are you saying that the Exchange Agent was causing backup problems not related to Exchange backups?  I'm willing to try anything, but want to make sure we're talking about the same thing and I understand your advice.  Thanks.

nettech98
Level 3

Originally it was not turned on, but now it is and I continue to have problems at random points involving files that are obviously not in use.

ST_IT_Man
Level 2

In my case, after I re-install the Remote Agent for Windows System to Exchange, my first backup encounter the same error like you:

"The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec cannot connect to the remote agent because..."

I go to the "Backup Selection Lists" and reconfigure the Exchange selection (not create a new one, only edit from original, and re-select the "Resources" from "Selections" item).

Sorry for I lost your point: a hang at a random points. It dose not like what I solved.

Maybe my experience could not help you.