cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup multiple Exchange 2010 domains

rveupen
Not applicable

I am looking for a backup solution that has the ability to backup multiple (10+) domains to a single storage (SAN).

We sell Managed Exchange 2010 / Managed Sharepoint Server 2010 solutions and now have about 10 environments in a Datacenter. At the moment we use the standard built-in solutions to backup which is not ideal.

For Exchange we use Windows Server backup which is far from what we would like.

For Sharepoint we use STSADM.

For SQL we use a Maintenance plan.

For SQL and Sharepoint in case of a disaster recovery this is a fine solution...but if we would like to recover a single document we would be facing a challenge.

For Exchange we would want to be able to restore a single e-mail if needed.

This all can be achieved with Backup Exec 2010..t.hat i am sure of.

The network infrastructure is set up in a way that every server thats needs to be have backup has 2 network cards...one for the hosting and the other in the backup network.

The backup server would reside in the backup network thus able to reach all the needed servers.

My question is...Would it be possible to setup 1 Windows Server 2008 R2 machine with backup Exec 2010 and use agents in 10 different domains to backup the 10 Exchange 2010 environments.

I am guessing I would need 1 license per Exchange 2010 server.

Kind regards,

Raymond

1 REPLY 1

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes you are absolutely right, you can install the BE on ws 2008. You need to purchase 10 exchange license, the exchange licenses will be installed on the BE server and you have to install remote agent on all the 10 exchange servers.

All the licenses always goes to BE server and the remote server only gets the remote agent installed.

Also you can select the backup network in the BE in network and security so that it will use the dedicated n/w to do the backups and will not interface the other nic card.