cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup of Remote Win2K8 64x agent says Syccessful 100%, but nothing is backed up.

Tech_Chris
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

We just upgraded from 10D to 12.5 to accommodate our new Win2K8 64x file server.

When we try to backup our file share via remote agent the job completes in a few seconds and it says "Successful 100%", but it only shows it backed up 660 bytes.

When I check the contents of the backup, it only contains the root folder, but none of it's contents.

However, when backups from our Win2K3 32x servers run fine with no problems.

Both the Backup Exec server and Remote Agent have been updated with all the latest updates and patches as of 2009/1/6.

The Backup Exec Server is running Win2K3.

Backup Exec server was upgraded from 10D to 11D to 12.5

(It wouldn't let us go directly to 12.5)

We have 4 remote agents (3 are Win2K3 32x and 1 is Win2K8 64x).

Win2K3 10D agents were pre existing

During installation of 12.5, wizard was used to deploy 12.5 agents to Win2K3 servers.

I don't know if it upgraded them, uninstalled the old then installed the new, or just installed on top.

Also, a new install of the 12.5 agent to the Win2K8 server was performed at this time.

The backup of the Win2K3 servers continued to perform correctly.

The newly installed Win2K8 server never worked.

I did notice this in the log when I updated the remote agent on the Win2K8 server:

01-06-2009,14:09:32 : This release will not support Advanced Open File Option on Windows Server Longhorn.

However, when I go to the Job History and loot at the Set Detail Information, it says this:

Advanced Open File Option used : Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)

And when I go to "Job Properties -> Settings -> Advanced Open File", Use Advanced Open File Option is not checked.

I don't know if any of the Advanced Option File stuff is significant, but it was the only thing that stood out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

2 REPLIES 2

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I am not going to attempt to troubleshoot this deeply, but you should go to the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS directory and run vxmon.exe on each server. It will put a little icon down in the bottom right. You can right-click it and determine what version of the Remote Agent you are running, and you can also check the publishing tab. Make sure it is enabled, and that the media server is in the top box, and the server vxmon is running on is in the bottom box.

Make sure all your agents are indeed 12.5. If not, follow the solution here rather than bothering to push them:

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=be12_general&thread.id=2670

Tech_Chris
Level 2

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Actually, it looks like I found the problem.

The way to back up DFS shares has changed from 10D to 12.5

We used to be able to back up the shares directly using \\fqdn\d$\sharename

Now we have to go through Shadow Copy Components/User Data/DFS.

I didn't think this would have been a problem, as we were able to back up DFS just fine in the past.

It's also strange it was just backing up the root folder.

Regardless, I am up to 6 gigs now and going for 200.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Chris