cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disc Not Completing

Mike_Malake
Level 3
I have been fighting this error for some time, and have tried everything I can think of. I have been through the forums and the web looking for ideas, but nothing has seemed to work. Hopefully someone can offer some new advice or idea.

Here is the situation. I have three Dell servers running W2K3. I have a Dell NAS that I use to backup all three to disc. Each server is running its own copy of Backup Exec 9.1 SP3. Each night all three servers will run their backup, but I have them scheduled to run at different times. My servers running SQL and and our business application will complete their backups normally. The server running Exchange will get partway through the backup and fail. The error received is:

Storage device "Dell NAS" reported an error on a request to write data to media. The specified network name is no longer available.

What is really infuriating is that once in a blue moon the backup will complete normally. The last one was about two weeks ago. To add to the mystery, once in a while the backups on the SQL and application server will fail with the same error. In Backup Exec my B2D device used to specify the machine name and not a mapped drive. The last thing I tried was to recreate the B2D device using the IP address of the NAS instead of the name. It still doesn't work.

I see new backup volumes being written to the NAS each time a backup runs. I know that the part of the backup information being written to the NAS is OK because because I can perform a restore of a mailbox from one of the backups that ended in error. The backups just never complete normally, they usually fail with the same error.

Has anyone had this same problem? What did you do to resolve it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike Malake
4 REPLIES 4

Mithril_Hall
Level 3
Are you running any AV software on the NAS and if so what?

Mike_Malake
Level 3
Not right now. The only stuff that gets on there are backups and archived folders from other, already scanned, sources.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Are your networkcards configured with a fixed speed or are they configured to use 'autodetect' mode. If they are auto you could try configuring them with a fixed speed.

Regards
A van der Boom

Mike_Malake
Level 3
No opinion from Veritas on this?