cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk Folders

Matthew_Wilcock
Level 2
Hi,

I want to move away from traditional tape backup. I am keen to use backup to disk folders but am currently investigating into how data is archived. If I got 2 external hard drives, would I be able to create one backup schedule and configure it to store 5 backups on each drive and then delete the oldest backup once the 5 limit is reached while alternating the two hard drives?

Basically, I want two hard drives, one for onsite and one for offsite. I wish to archive as many backups as the drive can hold on each. Any help on how I can achieve this would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt
6 REPLIES 6

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

You can run backup to first HDD and then perform Duplicate back on second HDD,which will be offsite !!

Whereas please explain further as you have mentioned "If I got 2 external hard drives, would I be able to create one backup schedule and configure it to store 5 backups on each drive and then delete the oldest backup once the 5 limit is reached while alternating the two hard drives?"

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query

Thank you
Gauri

Matthew_Wilcock
Level 2
Thanks for your reply! Sorry, I realise that my explanation is quite confusing!

I want to be able to archive files for at least a week on as few hard drives as possible. Can you create 1 backup schedule to store many backup files (one for each day of the week) on the same drive without it overwritting the previous backup each time. Then once a set number of backups has been reached on that drive, can the oldest backup be erased automatically?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Certainly. This is handled through the OPP (Overwrite Protection Period) fo the target media set.

If you run the same job each noght, set the OPP to 6 days, and when the second week runs, it should overwrite starting with the oldeset backup.

For Removable Disk Drives, be sure that you specify "Backup to Disk on Removable Media" when creating the B2d Folder. Also be aware that you will need a separate drive letter for each external drive, and it must be mounted on the same drive letter each time that it is attached.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

Matthew_Wilcock
Level 2
Fantastic! Thank you so much for your clear answer!!

RoninV
Level 4
How is that two HD backup configuration working out for you?