cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk Media Management question

Joe_Church_2
Level 3
I have several consolidated backup servers in my company. All are running Backup Exec 10.1d. I have over 1.5TB of disk space on each server to run all nightly backup jobs to a central backup to disk repository. Then during the day, these files are archived to tape on a large Ultrium tape backup system. I seem to be having trouble managing the backup to disk media files. I would like to be able to keep 3 days worth of backup to disk files physically located on the backup server. I've created a new media set called "3-Day Rotation", set the overwrite protection period to 3 days, with infinite append. I've created my backup jobs to use this media set. However, what I find is that the files are only keeping 1-2 days worth of media files, most of them have the latest run date on them, and there may only be 1 or a max of 2 days worth of files in the repository. So my question is, what can I do to be able to keep 3 days worth of backup to disk files on my server before they get overwritten? Using a media set does not seem to work in this scenario. Are there any options or tricks I missed?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

What is the "Overwrite Protection Level" in "Tools" > "Options" > "Media Management".

Which option is selected under "Overwrite Options".

Make sure that the option selected is "Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media".

Which option is selected under "When this job begins" in the job properties?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joe_Church_2
Level 3
I set the overwrite protection leven in Media management to full. Jobs are set to append to media, and overwrite if no appendable media is found. Overwrite scratch before recyclable media is selected. I think I have it working now. Seems to be retaining the media files I want. I set overwrite protection to 3 days but see 4 days worth of backup media files now. Is that normal?

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Joe,

Please refer ot these documents:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.