cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk to Tape Question

D_Howell
Level 3
I was using a USB Hard Drive as a remove backup to disk folder, but now I need to back up the USB Hard Drive to tape and keep the backup data stored. 

It's looking like the process right now will be to back up the .bkf files on the USB drive to the tape drive.  But then in order to restore data, I would have to restore the .bkf files to a server, catalog the .bkf files, then restore from those.  Is there a way I can back up the data from the USB drive to tape as if it were done by a duplicate backup job in a B2D2T setup?  The USB drive and Tape drive are not hooked up to the original server that was backed up. 

Thanks,

David Howell
6 REPLIES 6

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Well you've spotted the problem with simply backing up the .bkf files, which is something that is commonly missed.
What you are looking for is called a duplicate job. As it's being done on a different server to the original, I think you'll have to define a new B2D folder in BE, pointing to the USB drive. Then inventory the drive, and catalog the files. Then once they're catalogged, you can run a duplicate job with the files as the source, and the tape drive as the destination.

Meg
Level 2
"simply backing up the .bkf files, which is something that is commonly missed" and that's just what I did. Now I need to restore a file.  I have restored the data (220 .bkf files and one "folder.cgf", one "change.dgf") from DDS4 tape back into a USB harddrive using NTbackup. The harddrive is then connected to a server running BE10d. I can see the device and the files, except catalogue would not work. Now can someone tell me how I can get this work please?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
does the media server have a B2D folder pointed at the USB  disk?

Meg
Level 2
Yes, it does; but the media is not listed in "all media" in Restore.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you tried Pauseing\Unpausing the B2D folder when the drive is detatched/attached? 

Meg
Level 2
The files may be corrupted, for I did two sets and both can not be catalogued. But thanks for the response.