cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disk without using .bkf

Steve_Hart_3
Level 2
Hi

We've recently invested in Snap Servers primarily for disaster recovery on the level of a destroyed building. We have a Snap Server in each location and they replicate changed files overnight. The Snap Servers look at the file dates and file sizes of each file and only replicate the files that have changed.

What I want to do is use Backup Exec to Backup my Windows server to a shared drive on the Snap Server. I've been able to run backups and restore from them using the .bkf files. The problem, of course, is that these files are too large to effectively replicate. Each night when I run a backup, I will have one 200GB file or 200 new 1GB files that the Snap will try to replicate, completely clogging our T1 line.

What I'm looking to do is to have to have the backups stored as individual files, rather than a large .bkf. Then I can have Backup Exec run an Incremental Backup to Disk each night backing up only changed files. Then the Snap Servers will only replicate the changed files. Is this possible?

Steve
4 REPLIES 4

Dhavalrai_Trive
Level 5
Hello Steve,

You cannot store the backup to disk files in any other format , they are stored as .bkf files. But what you can do is change the size of the .bkf files and take incrimental backups to the B2D folder this will reduce your replication traffic.

Hope this helps.

Dhaval..

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

We hope the above answer helps. Do revert if you have any further queries.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Bijoy_Raghavan
Level 2
Hi guys,
On the same lines as of the previous article i have been facing a situation with my setup. I have a SAN which is not attached to my media server Dell Powervault 130T. I fire my Back up to Disk jobs to local Disks and then move the same to this SAN. My backup job involves backup up of close to 600 Gb of diff data most of which is databases and transaction logs. The question is when i now go to the restore option i can restore all files including my SQL databases using the catalog information. But veritas is unable to catalog any of my historic bkf files whose catalog information is lost. Can you suggest if there is any method using which i can move these bkf files off site and still be able to catalog them using Veritas, if and when required.
Any ideas or advice will be highly appreciated.
Cheers

bijoy

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Bijoy,

Though we encourage your participation in the Forum, after analyzing your query and scenario we conclude that the issue faced by you is different from the one being discussed in this thread. It needs a different line of troubleshooting and hence, we request you to resubmit your query as a new post.

Regards