cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk issue

asherh
Level 3

I have a 2TB LUN on an iSCSI SAN which is solely for use as B2D with BuE 2010 (R1).  I have one B2D folder configured: 100GB file size (no prealloc), max 100 backups per file, one concurrent operation.  I backed up about 1.4TB (8 backup operations total) to it with verification on.  The data seems intact.  I then used a function on the SAN to block-copy the LUN to another LUN on the same SAN.  I tried a few methods of 'importing' this LUN to BuE, but in both cases I got errors that seemed to suggest data corruption.  For example, with BuE services stopped, I logged into the 'new' LUN only and ensured it got the same drive letter as the 'old' LUN.  I then restarted services and ran an inventory on the B2D.  Several of the .bkf files were inventoried as 'Unrecognized media'.  What's more, even though the first ten or so .bkf files inventoried fine, a catalog operation on the first .bkf failed with:

Media mount failed.

Physical Volume Library Media not found.

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in <B2D name>.

V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

I'm in the process of a few troubleshooting paths with the assumption that the SAN is the cause of the problem; probably the copy operation.  However, I have managed at least to confirm that the first five .bkf files do not seem corrupt: the md5sums match those of the original .bkf files.  The first backup operation (~180 GB) would not have spanned beyond the second .bkf, which seems to be sound.  So I would expect that I should be able to catalog at least some of the .bkfs.  Or does the integrity of a B2D device depend on all of the .bkf files it contains?  If anyone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You will be able to catalog the .bkf files which are in good shape, the one's which are corrupt will 

through the above message while running the catalog job. I see you have set B2D file size as 100GB, 

its always recommended to keep the file size around 10-20GB(default is 4GB). So even if few B2D

files go corrupt you will not loose much data.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You will be able to catalog the .bkf files which are in good shape, the one's which are corrupt will 

through the above message while running the catalog job. I see you have set B2D file size as 100GB, 

its always recommended to keep the file size around 10-20GB(default is 4GB). So even if few B2D

files go corrupt you will not loose much data.

asherh
Level 3

Thanks AmolZeroCool.  The failure to catalog the 'recognized' .bkf file was apparently a fluke; a later attempt was successful.  But since you answered the only real question I asked, I'm marking your thread as the solution.