cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to disk then disk to tape, assigning different selections to templates within the same policy.

PCAU
Level 4
Hi All

New Backup Exec (12.5) user here having a little trouble understanding how best (if I can) do the following.

What I’m trying to do is have all my servers backup to the BE server via remote agents disk to disk (backup to disk). Once that has completed id then like to backup this directory containing the backup to disk files to a tape library.

Now the only way I have found to configure one job to start after another finishes (i.e backup to tape starts once the backup to disk job has finished) is via policies using template rules. Obviously I'm trying to avoid configuring jobs to start after each other via time schedules and pre/post command lines too (only if possible)

So I have a policy with a backup to disk template and another template with the disk to tape template. A rule is configured to start one template after the other, each template using different devices and media pools.

Now this appears perfect however when creating the jobs based on this policy I can only assign one selection list. Now this doesn't work because I need 1 selection list to define the directories on the remote servers, and another to define the location of the backup to disk files on the local server to backup to tape via the second policy template. For each template within the policy I'm getting a duplicated jop assigned to both selection lists and I cannot go back and edit them after. 

Can anyone provide any insight as to how I would best go about achieving this?

If Pre/Post command lines are the only way, is there an easy way to output (or perhaps open a config file to copy) a configured job into a command line/script ?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

PartTimeDAU
Level 2
Hi PCAU

1. Create Policy "Backup Full"
2. Within Policy create 2 Templates 
       a) Template "backup2disk"
       b) Template "Duplicate Job"
3. Assign 1 or more  Selection lists the policy "Backup Full"

PCAU
Level 4
Hi PartTimeDAU

That is exactly what I have done, but each template within the policy is then duplicated for each selection.

I need differen't selections per template.

I have searched and it seems this has been asked a number of times before, however I cannot find an alternative solution, only "no it can't be done".

Can anyone offer help ?

Thanks

PCAU
Level 4
bump

ALH
Not applicable
Hi,
I'm in the same predicament.
I've tried the same as PCAU did above but only one selection is available. I have four resources I would like to B2D then D2T.

PCAU - were you successful in anyway?
Please advise.....
thanks