cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to removable disk

harsi
Level 5

Hi.

We are still trying to find a way to reasonably backup to removable disks with BE 2010 R2.

Maybe we still overlooked anything essential but what we got is still not satisfactory.

The problem we are facing is that as soon as the removable disk is removed there is no way to find out which removable disk to put in if you are trying to restore something.

The only thing you get is the media id BD...... but the media location of this media is blanked out if the media is offline. So how to find out on which disk a certain media is located?

BTW. We tried with both classic backup-to-disk-folders and changeable backup-to-disk-folders.

I don't think this an uncommon use case so maybe someone already had figured out a best practise on this.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

20 REPLIES 20

harsi
Level 5

I followed you advice and created a download here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/backup-removable-disks-finding-media

I changed the script to my latest findings that the relation between b2d folder and media is stored in the database persistently and there is only no way to retrieve it via GUI or report from there.

So there is no longer a requirement when you have to run the script.

Cheers.