cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup will not complete without scratch tape.

hacbmis
Level 2

Befor upgrading to Backup Exec 12 the backup run like a charm.  Using 400Gig LTO tapes.  I had a full backup everyday no problem.  Now when I come in to work backup not finished because it is waiting on scratch tape.  Data beeing backed up is less then the capacity of the tape.  Need help getting this back on track.

10 REPLIES 10

lmosla
Level 6

What version of Backup Exec did you upgrade to?  Is your tape device on the BE's version's HCL?  see:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205797

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are not using compression, then use it.  Otherwise, the only way is to reduce the amount of data going to the tape.

BTW, if you are using BE 2012, do not refer to it as BE 12 because BE 12 is a very old version of BE.

hacbmis
Level 2

BE-2012.   Is BE-12 stiil around?

hacbmis
Level 2

It was set to hardware compression if available otherwise none.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. There are still people using it

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check the job logs and see whether compression is used. Also, check on the tape and see what is the compression ratio

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I take it you aren't appending to the end of a tape and using the remaining space on the first tape?

Again the job log should show it it started with an append and then asked for a second tape, and asking for a seconf d tape will need overwritable media, so could accept one from Scratch if made available.

hacbmis
Level 2

Up until about a month or two ago I had the backup append and it was fine no scratch tapes.  Then it stared to ask for the scratch tapes.  So I bought new tapes and retired the old ones.  Still can't get it backing up the it was.  Every time I upgrade there is a problem.  If I go to 2014 what can I expect?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

2012 went in a direction that stopped some common problem areas from being configured, however it also removed some functionality that a lot of customers liked and as such some things were re-introduced in 2014. What this means is that the recommended upgrade path for customers on versions of BE prior to 2012 is to avoid 2012 and go to 2014. (where supported)

Because BE 2012 insists on one job per server, it is very difficult to manage tapes if you are trying to get more than one server on the same tape for each day, as you have to specifically setup your jobs so that the one that starts first overwrites and then subsequent jobs append. However if a library is involved you also have to somehow restrict all the jobs to one tape. BE 2014 brings back the ability to handle multiple servers in one job which helps massively with this process. Which might mean that BE 2014 is a better fit for what you are trying to achieve.

Note: how Backup Exec handles tapes for both Appends and Overwrites has not changed across any of the BE versions but the single server per job model in 2012 is known to cause media selection and rotation issues with relation to tape handling.

MarkEG
Level 3

I start one job 30 mins before the others and have it set to overwrite, the rest kick and are set to append, havn't had an issue.