cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12.0 Full Backup goes Active but stays Queued

spg7752
Level 2
I am using BackupExec 12.0 sp2 for Windows Server.  I am backup up my GroupWise system running on Netware 6.5.7 servers with BackupExec remote agents for netware.  My media server is a Windows 2003 sp2 server.  I backup just the GroupWise Post Offices three of them.  They are backedup to a local drive on the media server.  They are then archived to TSM.  My problem is I had to reinstall BackupExec 12.0.  After setting up all the jobs and devices and backup to disk folders.  I started running the nightly backup jobs.  I run nightly differentials Monday thru Thursday. After the differentials run the following day they get moved to a archive directory.  Leaving the backup area empty for the following weeks differential.  We run Full backups on Friday night since these total about 300 + gig we archive them to TSM.  Leaving the original backup job in the three storage directory directories.  The Full backup jobs are set to overwrite what ever is in those storage directories.  Here is the problem the first fulls that I ran were ok.  The following week when they ran again.  They showed a Active Status but remained ? Queued and did not run.  In the previous installation of Backup Exec 12 everything ran normal and I did not have this problem.  I can get them to run if I remove the previous weeks backup.  Which I really don't want to do.  Does anyone have any Ideas???  I have a ticket opened with symantec but so far they have not been able to resolve this issue.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Check the OPP properties of the media set the FULL job writes to

Also, from Tools\Options\Media Management verify that either FULL or PARTIAL is selected for Overwrite Protection.  Also set the option to "Reuse Overwriteable Media in the Target Media set before Scratch Media" is selected

Any Active Alerts?   Anyting in the Event Log?

spg7752
Level 2
media management is set to none.  We are writing this these backups to a local drive on the media server. The OPP properties look ok to me.  Still having the same problem.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I've seen some really strange behavior when the Global Protection Option is set to none

Try setting to either PARTIAL  (manage only  media created by BackupExec) or to FULL  (manage all backup media reagardless of what program created it)

spg7752
Level 2
I set media management to Partial.  The test backup job ran but did not overwrite the backup that already was present.  It just created another backup file.  Will switching to Full overwrite the existing backup?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The test backup job ran but did not overwrite the backup that already was present. 

That would be function of the Overwrite Protection of the media set that the backups belong to

From the Media Tab, right click the media set \ Properties Change the OPP to whatever meets your criteria

If you want to keep data for two weeks, set the Overwrite Protection to 13 days for example

Also be sure that "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected rather than the alternative, or else BackupExec will continue creating new BKF files until the volume fills up

jnandha
Not applicable

Under Devices section and Right clicked on media server name where attached devices are listed and clicked "Paused" once and then a second time to get queued jobs to go through.

RMcCauley
Not applicable
I know its been awhile but for people who are having this issue, what we did was go to devices, find the backup-to device folder, uncheck the enable selection then click scan, then check the enable and re-try the backup. if it doesn't work, try it again but before you re-check the enable selection do a pause and then unpause, scan again, then check enable then scan again and then re-try the backup. Or just try some trial and error with it but make sure the drive letter correspondes to what it is in my computer, if you can access the drive through my computer then you know its  how backupexec is trying to find it.

hope that helps.