cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12.5 do not see MSL8096 library

ShellyTK
Level 3
I have an MSL8096 Robotic Library with two LTO-4 Ultrium drives installed, running on a Windows 2003 media server. The sever sees both Library and Tape Drives. However, BackupExec 12.5 device manager sees the Library as off-line. You can right click and make in on-line. But it cannot backup or do an inventory. BackupExec seems to be not detecting the library, it was working without any issues for almost one year now….

Can somebody provides some help ….
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you cannot even power  off the library, it is probably a hardware fault.

Stop all the BE services and use the HP LTT tool to verify that the library and tape drive is working correctly.  Make sure that you do the write test.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) Go to Tools ---> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard and re-install the device again.

2) Power off both the media server and the tape library

3) Power up the tape library

4) Power up the media server

5) Try to backup again.

ShellyTK
Level 3
Thanks for your help. But, I have already tried this out, it did not work.

One more thing, the front panel of the MSL8096 is not responding. You can not even power off the library using the power button from the front side. I had to pull the power cable from behind, to put it off. I am not sure whether the hard ware is gone faulty, I am waiting for HP support to come back to me.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you cannot even power  off the library, it is probably a hardware fault.

Stop all the BE services and use the HP LTT tool to verify that the library and tape drive is working correctly.  Make sure that you do the write test.

ShellyTK
Level 3
Yes, it is a hardware fault. I kept the Library and the server powered off overnight. It started working next day morning. As per HP tech support, I need to upgrade the firmware for the MSL8096.

Thansk for your help

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

If you ever run into the same problem you can also try this tool. Its called discover.exe.
Its present in the install path of BE and you can run it from the command prompt and pipe the output to a file

Note :- All BE Services need to be stopped when you run discover.exe

If the output is fine then you can look at BE to troubleshoot further

ShellyTK
Level 3
Thanks, I shall try this out.