cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 12 and NT4

Gary_Hurst
Level 4

Hi

Just installed BE 12 (which is working fine Smiley Happy) but I have two Windows NT4 servers that I need to back up. Anyone have an idea how that can be achieved ??

Thanks

Gary

7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You cannot do a DR type backup of the NT  box, but file level backup is supported with "Partial Support"

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/273853.htm

Gary_Hurst
Level 4

Thanks for the reply, Ken

Is that the correct article ??

Gary

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Gary_Hurst
Level 4

Thanks for that, Ken

I've downloaded and installed (using SETUPAA.CMD) the Windows NT 4.0 Remote Agent onto the NT4 server and created a job to back it up. I selected the server from 'Domains > Microsoft windows network' and ran the job which failed with the following;

'Backup and restore operations for Windows NT server 4.0 are not supported by this version of Backup Exec'.

Do you know how I should configure this to get it to work ??

Many thanks for your assistance

Gary

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if creating a user defned share doesn't work, I think you are SOL  Smiley Sad

v11d would work with the v10d agent.  Looks like Symantec is limiting their exposure by refusing to connect at all to an OS that has been officially End-of-Life for more than three years

Gary_Hurst
Level 4

I've been told the only way to do this is to publish the volume on the NT4 server as a CIFS share and then back up the volume without a Remote Agent. I've no idea how to do that but guess I'll have to find out.

Otherwise, I suppose that I could re-install a previous version, BE 9.1, on another server and create a B2D folder on a server that can be backed up (ie. not NT4).

Perhaps should've bought hp Data Protector Smiley Wink