Server 1 Windows 2012 DataCenter with four VMs

- VM 1 = runs Exchange

- VM 2 = runs Exchange

- VM 3 = SQL

- VM 4 = AD

Server 2 Windows 2012 STD

- Active Directory

Question:

1. How many license for Backup Exec Agent for Applications and Databases do I need for my First Server?

---> Do I still need purchase a  license for Backup agent for windows and how many?

2. Are there are other licenses required to restore Virtual Machine OSE to a Physical OSE on different hardware ?  

---> Virtual to Physical conversion.

3. For my second server, I understand a license for Backup Exec Agent for Applications and Databases si required to backup my AD.

---> Do I need a backup agent for windows to allow me to do a full system backup (image backup) and  baremetal restore ?

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

1. So If I don't purchase a application and database agent for my AD Virtual Machine (First Server)

Will I still be able to do a backup for my AD virtual machine ?

Yes ,you can still backup your AD on virtual machine by doing backup of system state. AD license only help you with GRT were you can restore single objects in AD.

2. Will I be able to do a system image backup and restore for my server 2, if I only purchased a license for application and database or will I need to purchase a backup agent for Windows?

Ans:

For doing System image backup and restore you should rely on Backup Exec Sytem recovery which perform sector level backup and help in doing image level backup and restore , Backup exec perform file level backup and so with backup exec image level backup is not possible

Hope that helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB

As of now Backup Exec does NOT support Win 2012 server

Question#1

You need 1 Agent for App & database license per application per server.

For your 1st server you would require 4* Agent for App & Database (2 Exchange, 1 SQL & 1 AD)

Note: If you want to perform GRT backup & restore of AD than you would require Agent for App & DB

license else AD will be backed up as part of the system state which requires only Remote Agent license.

Agent for App & Database includes Remote Agent so there is no need to buy additional RAWS license.

Question#3

Agent for App & DB is required only for GRT backup and restore else a Remote Agent license can 

perform a full system backup and restore.

For more info on licensing refer to the licensing guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178479

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Please click on below link if you intend to protect win2012 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196108 Please not above you have mentioned win2012 it is not supported yet by backup exec version so if you have windows 2012 it would be unsupported configuration. Thanks,

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

1. So If I don't purchase a application and database agent for my AD Virtual Machine (First Server)

2. Will I be able to do a system image backup and restore for my server 2, if I only purchased a license for application and database or will I need to purchase a backup agent for Windows?

Thanks,

Paul

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes ,you can still backup your AD on virtual machine by doing backup of system state. AD license only help you with GRT were you can restore single objects in AD.

Ans:

For doing System image backup and restore you should rely on Backup Exec Sytem recovery which perform sector level backup and help in doing image level backup and restore , Backup exec perform file level backup and so with backup exec image level backup is not possible

Hope that helps

Thanks