cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2012 - USB Drives Can't Eject - In use Error

wrender
Level 2
Partner

When there are no backup exec jobs running, and after a backup exec job has finished, I am unable to eject external USB drives.  Using the windows "Safely Remove Hardware" feature results in the server saying the drive is still in use.  (even though BackupExec has no jobs running at the time).

I was told by Symantec technical support as a workaround to create a windows schedule that starts and stops the backup exec services daily.  When the services are stopped, we are then normally able to eject the usb drives.  The problem that appears to be happening now, is that the services don't always start and stop properly.  For example, one service was stuck in the state "Stopping Service" and has been sitting there for hours.  I have scheduled tasks which stop the backup services at 8:00am, and then start them again at 5:30pm.  (Supposed to allow a window of time for them to eject the usb drives properly).

This is becoming a real issue as my client can't properly rotate USB drives without having to worry about the services.  Or without me having to worry about their services starting and stopping properly. 

Any help appreciated.  The new interface in Backup2012 is nice, but I'm ready to throw this product in the garbage due to these "USB drive in use" issues.  I can't recommend this product to other clients if it has serious issues like this.

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is the storage defined on your external USB disk, Disk Storage or Disk Cartridge Device?

I suspect it is Disk Storage.  Disk Storage is for fixed disk and BE expects them to be on-line.  Thus they cannot be ejected.  When you have removable disks like USB flash drive, RDX drive, etc, the storage on them is defined as Disk Cartridge Device and you can eject them from BE itself.

By right, BE should be defining Disk Cartridge Device on your external USB disk, but for newer versions of Windows, these disks are detected as fixed disk.  If you right-click on them, you do not see the eject option.  For USB flash drives which are detected as disks with removable media, you will see an eject option when you right-click on them.

I will notify a Symantec engineer who is investigating cases like yours.  You may have to log a formal support case for him to investigate.

wrender
Level 2
Partner

Yes. The storage is defined as Disk Storage.  Should I be changing it to Disk Cartridge Device? 

I have already spent over 5 hours of dealing with Symantec support over the phone.  Still have not been provided with a solution this issue.  If this storage definition is the reason it is failing, why would they not have checked this?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't think you can change the storage to Disk Cartridge Device.  You will not be given this option.

You should ask the TSE to escalate your case.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If this storage definition is the reason it is failing, why would they not have checked this?

Because 2012 is still quite new, and the agent you talked to may not be fully up to speed on the differences yet??

jhendriks
Not applicable

We use backup exec small busines server 2012 in combination with a Dell RD1000 witch is a usb disk. I came upon the same problem. By incident I noticed that when we not used Advanced Open File (and my exchange is not backed up) there was no problem with ejecting. When we use the Advanced Open File option then there is one way to eject and that is to pull out the powersupply of the RD1000. Of course I get an error saying that the storage is ofline but next I can eject the cartridge and replace it with the next.

Is there an sollution to this problem yet? 

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Suggest you open a formal support case as this is the sort of thing that is likely to need more detailed logs for review if you want an official answer.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

For info we have no identified soemthign in BE that can cause a lock on the disk devcies and stop an eject

It is acknowledged against RDX style media in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191155

However we believe it will equally affect standard USB disk storage devcies as well.

Although that tech article does not currently state it, we have recently got a private/beta/orphan fix  that we believe will solve the issue, but you need formal support cases to receive this fix as it is not a public fix yet.