cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

BackupExec 2012 jobs failing after vCenter upgrade from 5.0.0 to 5.5.0

jshaneadams
Level 2

I upgraded my vCenter server from 5.0.0 to 5.5.0 U1 on Tuesday morning and all of the jobs last night and tonight have failed with the following errors:

(Server: "BE1") (Job: "vmdk-S1-Incremental") vmdk-S1-Incremental -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

The job logs all have errors similar to this:

Final error: 0xe0009585 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38277

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- VMVCB::\\V1.pearlriverresort.com\VCGuestVm\(DC)DataCenter(DC)\vm\"FolderName"\S1

V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: Invalid connection handle

If I click the link it takes me to a Backup Set Detail Information section with the following information:

Media Label: IMG007422
GRT backup set folder: \\.pdvfs\BE1\2\BEData\STHVMDK\IMG007422
V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: Invalid connection handle

The servers referenced in these logs are:
BE1-Backup Exec 2012 SP3 server installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 physical server

V1-vCenter 5.5 U1 server installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual server (vSphere ESXi 5.0 host)
S1-Server being backed up running Windows Server 2008 R2

The backup jobs have GRT enabled so I can resotore individual files and folders but no application GRT settings are selected
  (note: I tried unchecking this option and ran into the same error, the Backup Set Detail in job log just doesn't have the GRT text in it, but it's the same error)
Transport mode priority list is SAN, Hotadd, NBD, NBDSSL
Advanced Open File options has Use snapshot tech checked, Micorsoft VSCS selected, System as the provider

Can someone please help me?  This was working (with the usual and normal flakiness of BE2012) before the vCenter upgrade.  I can't go very long without backups.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The SCL lists vCenter 5.5, but not vCenter 5.5 U1, so it is not supported.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1328840673344

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The SCL lists vCenter 5.5, but not vCenter 5.5 U1, so it is not supported.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1328840673344

jshaneadams
Level 2

Oh jeez, thanks for the response.  Seems like it's always something like that with this product.  So I guess I'm out of business unless I downgrade vCenter or wait for an update that supports U1 from Symantec.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you have not upgraded your ESX hosts, why don't you downgrade your vCenter?

jshaneadams
Level 2

Is there a roadmap anywhere that may show when 5.5 U1 will be supported?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unfortunately, Symantec does not publish a support roadmap.  The up-coming BE 2014 may provide the support.