cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 9.1 doesn't see an HP 1x8 Ultrium960 Autoloader

Will_Michaelis
Level 2
Hi,

I've done just about everything I can think of, including a fresh install of Windows 2003 on clean drives for my backup server. I'm using an HP 1x8 autoloader, and while BackupExec 9.1 sees the drive itself just fine, it doesn't recognize the autoloader (although Windows 2003 does).

I've searched high and low, and done everything I could think of...any insight would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

Will_Michaelis
Level 2
Is there any chance someone can help me with this?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Please check,whether the device that you are using is there in our Hardware Compatibility List.

Kindly refer the following document for the same:

Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List

http://support.veritas.com/docs/271382

Backup Exec 9.x for Windows Servers Robotic Library Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (includes tested drives)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/271383

If the Device is tested,then install the Veritas Drivers. But if the Device is compatible then install the OEM Drivers.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Will_Michaelis
Level 2
SCSI\ChangerHP______1x8_autoloader__1.46
SCSI\ChangerHP______1x8_autoloader__
SCSI\ChangerHP______
SCSI\HP______1x8_autoloader__1
HP______1x8_autoloader__1
ScsiChanger

SCSI\CHANGER&VEN_HP&PROD_1X8_AUTOLOADER&REV_1.46\4&235E9A88&0&051

Those are the device and hardware strings. The HCL table doesn't mention either of them, although it does mention multiple models of HP 1x8 Autoloaders. Also, BEDiag gets the following results:

0002:0000:0005:0000 Device Name "\\.\Tape0"
Primary Inquiry "HP Ultrium 3-SCSI G38W"
Serial Number "HP Ultrium 3-SCSI HU10541RVA"
Device Flags SCSI, SN(TYPE 1)
Device State 3, Online

Device IDs 1002, {577BC73F-3098-445D-8E19-27FFF76325BC}
Device Name "HP 1"
Device Type 134283265, "LTO 64K (64K,10,0,E,HU)"
Device Features 0x00021000
Device Element 0, 0

0002:0000:0005:0001 Device Name ""
Primary Inquiry "HP 1x8 autoloader 1.46"
Serial Number ""
Device Flags SCSI
Device State 1, Offline, ERROR = 0x0000007B (ERROR_INVALID_NAME)

I'm getting ready to make a decision as to whether or not my company will continue using BackupExec software. So far, it looks like that answer will be no.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Will,
IF you device is not listed in the HCL we can only try to help. We cannot unfortunately Gurantee any functionality.
You can try following Steps:
- Install OEM drivers.
- Stop and disable the Removable Storage Service.
- Let the device Configuration Wizard run.
- Follow following Article:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268626.htm

Let us know what happens.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Eddie_oneal_2
Not applicable
Hi,
I am having the same issue. I purchased the MSL 2024 (24 tapes w/ 960 tape drive). I am running Windows 2003 server on a dual channel ultra 320 scsi controller. The tape drive is seen by the OS, however, the robot is not. Come to find out there is a driver that Veritas makes for the robot. However...the driver is for 10.0 and later. I have 9.1 at the moment. If you are 9.1 i am afraid u r out of luck unless you upgrade.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thanks a lot.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.