cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Storeever 1/8 G2 Autoloader Not Detected in Device Manager

Mac1983
Level 4

This is not directly related to BackupExec 2014 (I am assuming)

- HP Storever  1/8 G2 Autoloader LTO5 (does not show in device manager)

- IBM X3650 Rackmount Server

- HP H221 SAS HBA Controller (shows in device manager)

- Windows 2008 R2 x64

I have recently installed HP H221 HBA Card on an IBM X3650 Server running Windows 208 R2. The HBA is then directly connected to the Tape Autoloader/Library via a SAS Cable.

The HBA is detected and displayed in the device manager.

However there are no Unknown Device or Medium Changer listed in the device manager to reflect the Tape Drive.

The Autoloader mode is Automatic (I have tried setting it to random with no luck)

The Drive and the server have been rebooted multiple times but the Tape Drive is still not showing up in the Device Manager.

Can somebody please advise what is going on ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mac1983
Level 4

IT IS TIME TO WEAR THE CONE  blush !

Looks like the SAS Cable on the HBA Card was NOT Plugged in properly. Due to the long beak that the 2 ends have I was under the impression that the Cable terminating on the HBA had gone all the way in.

Guess what - sorry guys.

I can see the Tape Device and the Medium Changer now.

For what its worth - I was receiving PCI Device Resource Allocation Failure and I followed the following KB to fix it during boot:

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5084533

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Your HBA is not compatible with tape storage, only disk, and specific disk arrays too. Check the QuickSpecs below:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04322800

You need the HBA on the link below:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04322807

This is your problem.

Thanks!

Mac1983
Level 4
Hi Craig But the H221 quickspecs in your URL says that it supports SAS Tapes. I am confused. H222 says the same.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

However there are no Unknown Device or Medium Changer listed in the device manager to reflect the Tape Drive.

The "unknown medium changer" should show up in the "medium changer" node of Windows device manager.  The LTO5 tape drive should show up in the "tape drives" node.  Are you not able to see either one?

If you cannot see the changer or the tape drive, I would suspect a bad cable.

During POST, can you get into the H221 configuration tool to see what devices it sees?

Mac1983
Level 4
Hi Larry I am not able to see either in device manager. How do i check the Post configuration of the HBA ? Is there a way to do that ? Also - the SAS cable has a blue ribbon type thing on both ends of the cable ? Is that supposed to be as is while the cable is connected to the Tape and the HBA ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need to get your vendor to help you get both the tape library and tape drive recognized by Windows, then they will appear in the Device Manager and can be used by BE. You problem has nothing to do with BE.

Mac1983
Level 4
Bell ??

Mac1983
Level 4
Can you please explain ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Sorry.  It should be "vendor".  Google Keyboard's predictive ability got the better of me.

Mac1983
Level 4

IT IS TIME TO WEAR THE CONE  blush !

Looks like the SAS Cable on the HBA Card was NOT Plugged in properly. Due to the long beak that the 2 ends have I was under the impression that the Cable terminating on the HBA had gone all the way in.

Guess what - sorry guys.

I can see the Tape Device and the Medium Changer now.

For what its worth - I was receiving PCI Device Resource Allocation Failure and I followed the following KB to fix it during boot:

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5084533

CraigV

...you're quite right...my bad as I never went that far down! :(

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I believe that I guided you towards a cable issue in my post.

CraigV

...I believe I asked you to PM an OP when you're asking for a solution. wink

Please do so in future.

Thanks!