cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec Timing Issue

JennianMark
Level 3
Hello

I currently run BackupExec 12.5, SP3 + all hotfixes.  It is run on a Windows 2003 R2 SP2 Server.  The tape drive is a HP LTO Ultrium 4.  The driver the tape drive is running is Symantec's, Version 5.1.37.0.  It is the only tape drive we use, and the controller is a LSI Adapter, Ultra320 SCSI 2000 Series (w/1020/1030)(StorPort), running driver version 1.24.4.0.

For the last month or so, the backup speeds have gone from 1806MB/Min > 1600MB/Min > 1500MN/Min etc etc all the way down to 548MB/Min and from backing up 750Gig in 8 hours to backing up the same amount in 23 Hours with alot of E00084F9 / E00084F0 / E00084ED Error Code's.  These pretty much all relate to a hardware problem, but have followed all symantec's troubleshooting step's, white papers etc and still the problem is still there.

I have installed and Run HP StorageWorks Library And Tape Tools, nothing fails and everything passes the test's. that I perform.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Mark
4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6
Have you tried different tapes, new tapes?  long erasing tapes?  

You may want to try HP's latest driver.  It's updated more often than Symantec's, and I usually get more consistent performance from them.

JennianMark
Level 3
Hi Teiva-Boy

Yes, have tried different tapes and new tapes.  Will try to run a long erase, then start the backup afterwards.

Thanks
Mark

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you are backing up remote servers, check that the NIC's on both the media and remote servers are working at full speed.

You may want to try to increase the block size of the tape device.  See my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

JennianMark
Level 3
Thanks PKH, will give it a try.

Mark