cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec version: 10.0.5484 installation problem

SiUk
Level 3
I have tried to install version: 10.0.5484 onto our windows server 2003 machine upgrading from backup excec 9.1 but i receive an error message close to the completion of the installation saying:

The Backup Exec database version you are trying to use does not match the version of this install. Schema changes have been performed on this database which do not match the executables currently being installed. Install will not be able to continue at this time. Please visit the VERITAS support web site for more information.

I have tried the installation 3 times now, even after uninstalling backup exec version 9.1 but still get this message. Is this a known issue with the program and if so are there any steps I can take to resolve it?

Thanks,

Si
10 REPLIES 10

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
In order to troubleshoot the issue, please carry out the following steps:- Go to C:\Windows folder and rename bkupinst.log to bkupinst.old, then please carry out the following steps

1) Refer the following technote :-
Title:- How to install the Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine instance to a different hard drive or partition

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263147.htm

While you are re-installing the software please make sure following points are taken into consideration

Instead of using an existing SQL instance, we suggest you allow Backup Exec to create its own MSDE instance. This is more reliable and useful incase disaster occurs.
MSDE 2000 installation is embedded with our installation package via Microsoft supplied merge modules.
If we install a BKUPEXEC instance of MSDE 2000, then it will be removed when BEWS is uninstalled.
We recommend to use MSDE 2000 that comes with Backup Exec. One of the major advantage of using a separate MSDE engine for Backup Exec is that; if SQL server crashes, then the Backup Exec functionality will stop as well and thereby you would be unable to restore the system.

Please copy and paste the error message that you have mentioned. That could be obtained from Bkupinst.log and MSDE_BKUPEXEC.log located in Windows folder.

You may refer the following technote to get the log files.

Bkupinst.log and MSDE_BKUPEXEC.log file located in WINNT folder.

How to locate the logs generated during the installation of VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268722.htm

We hope this helps.

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Kindly let us know if the issue still persists.

SiUk
Level 3
No such luck I'm afraid.

We have 2 licenses for backup exec - one installed fine on just a plain file server, the one I'm installing now is on our exchange server.

I have tried it quite a few times now. The old backup exec 9.1 was uninstalled (along with an update it had).

I tried renaming an existing MSDE SQL server installation directory from C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server to
C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server OLD
and tried the installation again - I still get the same error message mentioned above and it re-creates the C:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server directory.

I have checked the MSDE_BakupExec log and it says it was completed successfully.

Sorry for taking a while to back to you on this, it's a bit of a pain when I have to restart the server after each installation attempt.

I havent done a backup for over a week now, so I may try and re-install version 9 again for a while.

Steve_Broomell_
Level 3
The original error occurred because you uninstalled BE 9.1 (keeping the BE data) before installing (upgrading to) BE 10.0. Why did you uninstall 9.1 before trying to "upgrade"?

SiUk
Level 3
No, I tried to upgrade the program first, installin 10 on top of BE 9.1, but it didn't work so then I thought I should try uninstalling BE 9.1 and then installing 10.

However, I will reinstalll 9.1 again since I need to make sure I have a backup and try v10 on top again next week.

Steve_Broomell_
Level 3
What was the error from the initial 9.1->10 installation attempt?

Mani_2
Level 6
Kindly update us on this issue and if the issue remains unresolved get back to us with the exact error message and last few lines of bkupinst.log located in \windows.

Ricky_Lee_2
Level 4
I have similar experience as Si.
I end up need to install BackupExec 10 (eventhough the server service is unable to start). Event log just shown unexpected internal error. Then, uninstall 10 with remove all BackupExec DB. Re-install BackupExec 9.1 again.
I hold up all version 10 upgrade until I can see a smooth upgrade to 10.

Hope to see a solution here.

SiUk
Level 3
I have now installed BE 9.1 on the server first time without any problems. Once I have a successfull backup completed I will try again and install version 10 on top.

Here are a few lines near the error found in the log file:

01-26-2005,10:48:19 : Executing VerifyBEDBVersion.
01-26-2005,10:48:19 : DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=MyServerName\BKUPEXEC;Trusted_Connection=Yes
01-26-2005,10:48:20 : Connected to SQL Server.
01-26-2005,10:48:20 : ADAMM Version Number = 9.000001
01-26-2005,10:48:20 : The Backup Exec database version you are trying to use does not match the version of this install. Schema changes have been performed on this database which do not match the executables currently being installed. Install will not be able to continue at this time. Please visit the VERITAS support web site for more information.

01-26-2005,10:50:03 : Action ended 10:50:03: InstallFinalize. Return value 2.

01-26-2005,10:50:03 : Action 10:50:03: Rollback. Rolling back action:

01-26-2005,10:50:03 : Configuring VERITAS Backup Exec. Please wait...

01-26-2005,10:50:03 : RB_ConfigInstall

01-26-2005,10:50:04 : Rolling back install of BE services.

01-26-2005,10:50:05 : Rolling back install of BE database.

01-26-2005,10:50:05 : Executing BE_DetachDB.

01-26-2005,10:50:05 : DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=MyServerName\BKUPEXEC;Trusted_Connection=Yes
01-26-2005,10:50:07 : Executing Detach_BEDB.

SiUk
Level 3
SUCCESS!!!

I re-installed BE 9.1 on Friday (and completed a backup that night) and I installed version 10 on top over the weekend.

Everything seems to be working fine now - not sure why this problem occured, but if anyone else gets the same error message, I think they should try this.

Si.