cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010 & Enterprise Vault v8.0 nightmare

nick_j_bacon
Level 3
Repeatedly getting

Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

and

Backup
Remote Agent not detected on C-EV01.

Have reinstalled backup agent and checked permissions for service account against EV & SQL server. Data is clearly being backed up as 100gig of data in backed up in roughly 90mins and then I get the failure alert. Job History just shows the following:

-- Backup Exec has successfully put the Enterprise Vault services on C-EV01 in read-only mode. --
-- Backup Exec has successfully taken the Enterprise Vault services on  C-EV01 out of read-only mode. --

but this doesn't indicate what part of the backup is failing.

Any pointer or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Nick

7 REPLIES 7

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Do you have a SQL Alias setup for your EV SQL Server?

nick_j_bacon
Level 3
Hi Ben,

Not that I know of! I am just using the EV Agent in BE2010. Having run further backups they all error out on the EV-IRP part of the backup. I am just running a backup with the Index location unselected to confirm whether this is the problem.

nick_j_bacon
Level 3
I have now redeployed the BackupExec Agent on both the Enterprise Vault server and the SQL Server. Once again I am getting the the following:

Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource. Final error category: Resource Errors

Not helpful because I KNOW the agent is installed correctly. However, the error section of the log now has the following:

Backup- \\c-ev01.clarks.int\System?State

I am going to change the selection list for the backup so it is only doing the EV data. Unfortunately I don't expect anything other than a different error message........ AM also going to try building a test network to see if I can replicate these problems.

nick_j_bacon
Level 3
So I bit the bullet and formated the server and reinstalled botht he OS and BE2010. Also uninstalled and reinstalled agents on relevant servers. EV selection list now correct. Full backup has just completed successfully.

I guess upgrading from BE 12.5 to BE2010 is not best practice if you are using Enterprise Vault.......

Mark_Ludgate
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I am seeing this exactly same problem.
Any idea how to fix.

Ideally I do not want to rempve BEWS and reinstall.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Take a look at these technotes:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/357650

http://support.veritas.com/docs/348467

One of them is sure to resolve the issue that you are facing about EV backups with BE 2010

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Any updates on this??

If this has resolved your issue then please Mark it as Solution.....