cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backuping up an EMC NAS - Authentication Issues/Remote Agent

Matthew_S_
Level 2

Hello,

I am having some issues trying to bacukp and EMC NAS.  I am using 12.5 BE running on win 2003 server.  I setup a User Defined Selection pointing to our NAS.  Then when trying to run the bacukp I get the following Error:

Backup 00016 -- The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the

selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.

I don't believe I can install an Agent on the NAS.  How can I get BE to attach to and bacukp the NAS box.   We are using the same credentials on the BE Server as the NAS box which is a domain admin level account.  The NAS box is surving up CIFS.  I can map a drive to the NAS box no problem from our BE Server.

I called Symantec Tech Support, the tech said I had to install an agent on the EMC NAS.

Thanks...

Matthew

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello

You cannot install the remote agent on the NAS box. The job status will be failed but

if you open the restore window you will be able to see all the information which was

backed up. Refer to the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17377

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The backup exec code has changed from 11d remote agent and its detecting NDMP is enabled on the EMC device. Disable NDMP on the EMC device and it should work.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55199

also you can try changin the remote agent port http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH24256

Matthew_S_
Level 2

Thanks for the tips.

I had already changed the port on the BE Server, and after that the user defined selections started working correctly.

I am working on disabling the NDMP on the EMC.  But, from what I had read without NDMP and no BE Agent on the EMC there is no way to back it up.

Also, the NDMP limitations are a problem.  I cannot live without being able to restore at the file/directory level.

RahuIG - the first link is a broken link. 

Thanks

Matthew

Matthew_S_
Level 2

Ooops, sorry RahuIG, I found it the doc.  So, I will try this, without the NDMP.

Thanks again

Matthew

teiva-boy
Level 6

You have two ways to backup an EMC NAS.  NDMP or user defined shares.  NDMP is way faster in most cases, but has it's own restrictions when doing a restore.  User defined shares are slower to backup, but much more flexible when it comes to restore.  

That said, if using user defined shares, NDMP can be disabled on the EMC NAS, it's not needed, and will not interfere with anything.  

Typically, you will create a service account in the NAS that matches the service account in BE.  This account will have some sort of superuser/admin/root permissions in the NAS, to access all the data.  BE since it has the same account setup in your service credentials, it'll backup just fine.  Though there will be an informational message about not having an agent to talk to, this can be ignored.  

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

here the content of the link which u were not able to open

Problem

How to Backup NAS (Network Attached Storage) EMC Shares in Backup Exec without the NDMP Option

Solution

To be able to backup NAS Shares without the NDMP (Network Data Management Protocol) Option with an EMC Filer, perform the steps listed below:

Disable NDMP on the EMC Data Mover by removing the following line from the /nas/server/slot_x/netd file:

ndmp port=10000        

To activate the change afterward, reboot that Data Mover.                                          

EMC Knowledge Base ID:  emc158412

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Also if you are going for the NDMP option have a look on the comnpatibility list on which hardware is supported