cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups are failing please help

Level 2
I am running Windows 2003 Server
Backup Exec 91. with Exchange 2003 agent

i just installed the Backup Exchange agent on my Windows 2003 server with Backup Exec 9.1 running on it.

Ever since i installed it my backups have been failing.
Do i need the open file option too since the Exchange is running constantly on the server??

Thanks,
Greg
6 REPLIES 6

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
No you don't need the Open File Option.

The Exchange option will take care of the open Exchagne databases.

What doe the job fail with? Is it because or corrupt email messages when backing up mailboxes?

Level 2
This is what the job log is telling me

JOB COMPLETED STATUS

Job Ended: Saturday, January 15th, 2005 at 1:37:23 AM
Completed Status: Failed
Final Error: 0xa000fe09 - The Directory is Invalid.

Final error category: Resource Errors

ERRORS

Backup - \\XCHG\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes
Directory not found. Can not backup directory. Matt Smith (matt) and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory. Tara Jones (Tara) and its subdirectories.

Those 2 user accounts above are disabled. Could that be the reason?

Ciprian_Pasare
Level 4
Hello,
Check this thing out and let me know if it helped:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/266179.htm

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
That is correct - if mailboxes are disabled BE will give that error.

Exclude them from the Backup selection list.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Or try setting the option 'Associated external account' under 'SELF' for the apropiate mailbox in AD

Satish_Krishnam
Level 4
When a directory is moved or deleted then while performing the backup the Backup Exec application still searches for that directory to be backed up as its reference is there in the backup selection list and when it is not able to find that directory it reports the job as failed. The possible ways to resolve this issue is either to create a new backup selection list or else remove the reference of the deleted or moved directory from the existing selection list by going in the Text version.

Please refer to the following technote which gives the steps to do this:

Title : Directory not found. Can not backup directory <\directory> and its subdirectories. The job failed with the following error: The directory is invalid

URL : http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/207001.htm

When the issue is seen specific to mailbox backups, refer to the following details:

This issue occurs due to the fact that when deleting users inside Active Directory, the associated mailboxes in Exchange are kept for a period of time. This time is called a Retention Period. By default the retention period is 30 days. This is so that in the case that this user's mail has to be retrieved, it will be available for a period of time.
Backup Exec will see the mailboxes that have had the associated user accounts deleted from Active Directory, but will be unable to access them.

There are four possible options to resolve this error:

1. The first option is to change the retention period that mailboxes are kept.

2. The second option is to remove the mailbox from Exchange all together.

3. The Third option is to associate the mailbox with another user inside Active Directory. This option is only available, if the new user does not have an associated mailbox inside Exchange.

4. The Fourth option is to deselect the mailbox for backup inside the Backup Exec backup job operation Selection List.
For details on how to implement the above solutions, please refer to the following technote:

Title : After deleting a user in Active Directory, the error message "Directory not Found. Cannot backup directory and it's subdirectories." appears when backing up the users mailbox URL :

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241981.htm