cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups do not complete since upgrade from R1 to R3

Marcopolo
Level 6

We've been experiencing a few issue with R1 for a while (which are ongoing), more in relation to tape read/write errors (Quantum DLT-S4) so upgraded our tape firmware and BE2020 version/tape drivers

Since the upgrade we've been experiencing a new similar issue to this thread http://aka-community.symantec.com/connect/fr/forums/backups-dont-complete-upgrade-2010-r3

Now the same job which is run daily seems to eject the tape and hang on backup or verify intermittently, when we cancel the job is detailed as complete without any errors.

There are no tape alerts and the only way we seem to get zero issues at the moment is if we stop the BE services, run the Quantum tape utility called 'xtalk' and perform a tape ready test and restart the services.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marcopolo
Level 6

We're working fine now, I created an upgrade document for future versions and the tape backups seem fine since new DLT hardware and an update for LSI for Windows 2003.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Do have the latest symantec drivers installed ?If not then you should probably install it and reboot the server . Make sure the removeable storage service is disabled and stopped .

Marcopolo
Level 6

First thing I did after the upgrade was run the tapeinst.exe and 'removable storage' driver has always been disabled.

Checking the driver in device manager say Symantec 5.1 (2007) which does seem rather old.

Is there a list somewhere that details current versions?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158750

Marcopolo
Level 6

Thanks, looked at that but I could not see anything that relates to the issue I have in the issues resolved.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The issue you are facing may be unnoticed by Symantec.

But it is always recommended to have latest DDI installed.

Even if any other issue araises because of installing this hotfix, you have an option to uninstall anyway.

Install the hotfix and update the remote agents once done. 

Regards....

Marcopolo
Level 6

Ok, update installed. One obseravtion though, the version for the media server is still 5204.0 as are the remote servers, which suggests they don't require updating?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Hotfixes don't always change the version of BEserver.exe as such a .0 might be reported as you state - but if you look at other files on the server they will report .5204.101 or .5204.102 etc

Usually the releases notes for each hotfix list the changed files and their versions.

Marcopolo
Level 6

So are you suggesting I run the wizard to update the servers it can, and for the ones it doesn't, copying the relevant agent folder and running the usual setupaa.cmd

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

I see that the tape ejects...have you deselected this option in the job options to see if it has any effect?

Thanks!

Marcopolo
Level 6

I did see that option but since the problem is intermittent I'm not leaning towards changing the configuration. Observations suggest that R3 ejects the tape prior to Verfiy, whereas before in R1 it always did it at completion of job. Not sure if this is meant to be the case, just something we have noticed.

Cheers

PS - I'll change it to test anyway to see what happens

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Tools ---> Options ---> Database Maintenance and check the time that the BEDB maintenance task is performed.  By default, it is 4 a,m.  If this maintenance work is during the time of your job, change it to some other time.  I changed mine to my lunch time when I know no backups is being done.  I have encountered funny results when jobs clash with the database maintenance task.

Marcopolo
Level 6

Ok, backup ran without error last night, but I've had this before and thought all was ok so I'll monitor for the next 7-10 days without perfoming our usual ritual. Also changed the DB Maint time as suggested so I'll report back at a later date if no issues.

Marcopolo
Level 6

Same issue on arrival this morning, Friday backup still reported as running after 54+ hours, tape already ejected so we cancelled the job and BE2010 reported it as complete and no errors recorded.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is a long shot.  Try repairing the BEDB using BEUtility which is located in the BE installation directory.

Mzuckerm
Not applicable

hi,

whats your status now?

we are ...eventually... upgrading from r1 to r3 and i want to see if your problem is solved.

thanks

Marcopolo
Level 6

We're working fine now, I created an upgrade document for future versions and the tape backups seem fine since new DLT hardware and an update for LSI for Windows 2003.