cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups fail because there is no old backup in the folder B2D

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
Some of our backups are failing. The closest reason I can see as to why is that we move the old backups into a folder called "old" in the same drive as the respective server is being backed up. I think it is looking for the previous backup to append to and then it fails.

I have the append settings set to "append, if no appendable media- overwrite" Which should negate any problem we are seeing, but it seems like it's not working.

The reason we are moving the older backups to a different directory is because we use HP Data Protector to grab the backups and move them to an Ultrium library on our Tape LAN.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

what is the exact error message with which Backups are failing?

-- Are you taking backup on backup to disk folder or on the tape?
Please elaborate the query.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
Ok, here is the error message:

"Job ended: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:01:39 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x2 - The system cannot find the file specified.

Final error category: Other Errors"

We are doing a backup to disk on the server that runs backup exec.

We use a simple .cmd file as a pre job script to move the backup files from the previous night (which were already backed up to tape by HP DataProtector) to a directory called "old" within the drive that the servers are being backed up to.

Here is a copy of the script:

X:
erase \old\*.bkf
move /Y *.bkf \old

As I said, it's a simple script.

I have the pre/post job command option set to let the backup run even if the pre/post command fails, but it still fials the whole backup. If we turn off the pre job command, the backup runs as it should.

The script is working as it should. When I come in in the morning, the old backup files (.bkf) are moved into the "old" directory but the backup has failed. I have the append or overwrite settings on the backups set to overwrite now, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Before, they were set to "append- if no appendable media is available, overwrite." The same thing happened.

The reason we are using the pre job command is because we only need to move the newest backup to tape every day. We need some kind of functionality to move the old backups to somewhere else so they don't get moved to tape with the newest, thereby keeping our backup window relatively small.

I seriously need help with this. There has to be some kind of file management automation so I don't have to go in every day and move the files manually...

Dave_Fortin
Level 4
Thanks. I actually found that the reason it is failing is because of the order it uses to perform the pre/post job commands. First it creates the .bkf file, then it performs the pre job command, which is not good because it was moving the new .bkf file into the old directory and thus "losing" it.

Thanks for your help!

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Dave,

Nice to see that you have found the solution we will thus assume this thread a s assumed answered.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.