cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups fail: hard write errors and timeouts

ThomasJR
Level 3
Hello,

After having backups working fine for a few days (this was a new install), I've now hit a new roadblock.  All my backup jobs are now failing, about 30-60 minutes in.  The environment:

Windows 2003 R2 Server running BE11d (with all hotfixes)
Adaptect 39320A Ultra320 SCSI with latest Adaptec Drivers
Dell Powervault 124T with latest Dell autoloader drivers and symantec tape drivers (It's a Certance LTO2 drive).

The error it fails with from BE's point of view is:

The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu3201, did not respond within the timeout period.

However my tape library management interface shows the following tape alerts:

Flags[1-64]:2400100000000000
TA[03]-HardError
TA[06]-WriteFailure
TA[20]-CleanNow

Of course I clean the drive after each failure (with a new cleaning tape), and even change the media it's writing on to a brand new LTO2 tape.

Now the obvious question: "what changed?".  Well, I did make one change about the time things went bad.  I read in other post a suggestion to turn off Write Single Block, and to increase the buffers to 128k to increase performance.  So I made those changes and rebooted.  It was about 3 backup jobs later that things started to fail.  So I have since changed them back to the original (Symantec default) settings, rebooted, but backup jobs still fail.

That's the only change I know of.  To me it sounds like it might be a drive failure, but it's so new, that I would be surprised.  Anything else I should look at?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

SS_Inc
Level 2
I am seeing the same problem with the same configuration and it is also 6 months old.

Did you find the solution?

With thanks.

ThomasJR
Level 3
Hi there,

Yes, I was able to solve the problem.  The fix was of course...driver updates. 

There is a new AutoLoader firmware out from Dell, and a SCSI driver from Adaptec.  That combination fixed the problem for me.  Specifically Adaptec driver version 7.0.4.1 was the fix.

SS_Inc
Level 2
Thank-you very much Thomas! I will give it a try.

Peter