cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups failing with different errors

Justin_Ross
Level 3
I am using BE v 9.1 with Sp1 and 2 installed. The backups run each day but i get different errors each time. I am backing up 4 servers on 3 days of the week which fail with the error message " a000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives " .
On the other 3 days i am backing up 5 servers and get the error " a0008115 - Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused ".
I have the remote agents and AOFO loaded on the machines. I am backing them up to an Arena disk based storage and then at a later stage backing those to tape.
The backups also fail at different points in the backup. Some days they will only get to 30GB into the backup then fail other days they will fail at the 250GB mark. I am backing up over a 10/100 network but the majority of the backup goes through after hours when there should not be much traffic. I also notice that some days the backup will run 3 days ( but still fail ) then the BE job engine fails to respond. I then have to restart the machine. Other days it will only run for 1 day then the BE job engine stops responding. I cannot get the engine to restart without restarting the machine.
Any help would be appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

For the ease of communication and resollution we will be troubleshooting one problem at a time. For the error " a000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives " .Please try to backup the resource using user defined selections since this error could occur due to problems in the DNS.

You may refer the following technotes for clarification and procedure:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/259874
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254193

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Justin_Ross
Level 3
I am downloading the security patch and i will try and follow the changes in those articles and see what happens.

Justin_Ross
Level 3
I am only able to get out to the client tomorrow. I will see if this helps the problem.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Justin,
We will wait for an Update on the issue from you then.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

andy_gandhi
Level 3
> Hello Justin,
> We will wait for an Update on the issue from you
> then.
>
> ******************************************************
> ************
> ******************************************************
> ***********
>
> Note : If we do not receive your reply within two
> business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed
> answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’
> pool.
>
>
> Thanks.

Was there a resolution to this Justin? I had similar problems when I had a corrubpt BE database, I had to use the BEutility to repair/replace the current with the backup.

Just curious,

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Justin,

have you been able to make any progress on this issue so far, please update us.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Justin_Ross
Level 3
No resolution yet. I did run a repair not very long ago and it didnt seem to help with the issue.

I went to the site and when i got there i see the backup did not even start properly. The AOFO connected and then that was it. Didnt back up any data. No error message. I have place the normal backup for tonight on hold and resheduled last nights backup to run again tonight in case it was something they were doing last night that caused a problem. I will let you know the outcome.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Justin_Ross
Level 3
The backup is not failing with the old error. It failed with the error 0xa000fe56. It had a few OFO errors on some of the servers saying that there is not enough disk space on the disk to create the ofo snapshot which is fine, i can free up some space. But the last error on the job log was the same error as the other job is getting. Media mount error. Library is paused,offline or disabled. I dont understand this error as i am backing up to disk so there is no library to fail. I check the Arena storage device and it is online in BE and i can access it from windows fine.

Justin_Ross
Level 3
Any Ideas?????

Justin_Ross
Level 3
I realise you guys are busy but my client is also unhappy so please any help here any time soon would be appreciated.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

- We would like to know more details about Arena storage device? Is it a removable hard disk?

- Have you created a normal backup to disk folder or removable?

- Have you reinstalled remote agent after applying latest patch/hotfixes?

- Check for relevant event ids in application and system log!

- For test purpose split the backup job for remote and local data and verify the result!

- You may also install Service pack 3 and HF 54:
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 3
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/278302.htm

Backup Exec 9.1 4691 for Windows Servers Hotfix 54
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278467

** After installing these updates remote agents will have to be reinstalled!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Justin_Ross
Level 3
The Arena storage device is a physical external device that creates a raid set. I have created a Raid 5 volume on it. I have created a normail backup to disk folder. I did reinstall the RAgent. I am downloading the SP3 and the hot fix and i will go and install them as soon as i can get to the site.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please update so that we can continue further troubleshooting.

Thanks.