cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups going to random tapes instead of the assigned ones

Ryland_Deakin
Level 3
Every night we run 3 backup jobs on this site and use 4 tapes. Media sets were created for the daily backups and have then been used for the relevant backup jobs e.g. the mail backup uses the daily mail backup media set, the sql backup uses the daily sql backup media set etc.

Once the 4 tapes have been put in and had a quick erase done on them, they are assigned to relevant the media sets we have setup, 1 tape for sql, 1 for mail, 2 for other data. When the jobs run overnight they seem to grab a random tape and do the backup on it instead of using the tape assigned to the media set... so we end up with sql backups on the mail tapes etc...

Anyone know why this might be happening or how to fix this please? We are using Backup Exec 10d SP3 on a Windows 2003 SP1 server and a Dell ML6000 backup unit.

4 REPLIES 4

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I think you will find it is using the oldest available tape rather than a random one.

You can partition your library in devices, by doing that you can point each job to a different partition, that way you are assured of selecting the correct tape.

Leif_Roekke
Level 2
You must think different. You should not label your tapes to specific sql backup's etc. You send your backup jobs to mediaset not to tapes.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
I can understand how you're thinking and don't know if i have a complete answer.

Phil has a good idea. If you partition the library (and always put the SQL tape in the same sub-partition, etc) and target the SQL job to that sub-partion, that should help your problem.

But, remember that media sets will have an impact, even then. The sub-partion tells backup where to physically find the tape. But, the media set defines the rules for whether or not that tape can be overwritten/appended. Try and keep that distinction clear and use the two properties to compliment each other.

I too think it has something to do with 'oldest available tape'.
Are you re-using the tapes in a cycle? - Mon SQL tape the following Mon (or 2 Mon later) for example?
If you are, try this. I'll assume you reuse them each week - 7 days later (adjust as appropriate). Set the overright protection on the media set to 6 days. On the job, be sure to tick the 'overwrite' option.
When you insert the tape, don't do the quick erase (overwite should take care of that) If you do an inventory, your media set should show that tape in blue - "available for overwrite". By doing the quick erease, you may be inadvertantly changing the "last accessed" date and defeating part of the reason for using media sets.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
As others say, it's easy to make an incorrect assumption about what media sets are for. So easy, and FAQ got written for it ;) http://www.backupexecfaq.com/faq/concepts/understanding-media-sets.html