cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad tape in backup set, can't seem to get around it

Simon_Mason
Level 3
I am trying to do a full restore from a full snapshot that was taken that involved 5 tapes.  Tape 2 in the set appears to have a problem.  It will restore all of tape 1, some of tape 2 and then it fails.  Is there anyway to restore the data on tapes 3-5?  I am trying right now by selecting directories that haven't yet restored, but I don't know what tapes they sit on.  Is there anyway to determine what exactly is on each tape?  It doesn't show in the resource view - it only shows the contents of all five tapes as a group.  Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

bill07
Level 3
i'm not sure how you would do this is Backup Exec, but i've done what you described by using NTbackup in 2000. might also work in 2003

Simon_Mason
Level 3
Can I run ntbackup on my backup exec generated tapes?

bill07
Level 3
you will have to give it a try. last time i did it was in an older version of Backup Exec.

Simon_Mason
Level 3
I did check it quickly.  It shows the tape drive but doesn't appear to access it.  However, I don't have the driver loaded for the tape drive as I am using the Backup Exec driver.  I could try loading the driver as a last resort to see if this will access the tape.  There must be a way around this.  I can't believe that multiple tape backups can be crippled when one tape goes bad??????  If I had known this I would have never allowed it to span multiple tapes.  Is there no way around this?