cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BakupExec Problem

binayak
Level 4
Partner
We installed BackupExec 12.5 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP4. At the time of installation the HP Tape device was attached with the backup server and we also able to take backup on that tape device using BackupExec. Now we replaced the DAT Drive with a new one. In the Device Mangater I am able to view the driver, but it is not coming under Device in BackupExec Management Console and that's why we are not able to take backup on that device. Need your help to solve this problem

Also the backup rate is very very slow and for taking backup of 4 GB data it is taking almost 2 hours.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

binayak
Level 4
Partner

I uninstalled the Tape Library Agent and then reinstall it. Now it is working fine.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   
What drive?  Is it on the HCL?  Is your new drive the exact same model as the old drive?  Have you rebooted or at least restarted BE services?

binayak
Level 4
Partner
The new drive is  HP Tape drive and the new HP drive model is different from the old drive. I have rebooted the server, but still the problem persists as it is not recognizing the new HP Tape drive.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
If it's seen in the Windows Device Manager, it means no comms issues between your SCSI card, Windows and the tape drive. So the problem is with Backup Exec and the tape drive.
In this case (and I do it when replacing any drive, even a drive in an autoloader), I'd run the Device Configuration Wizard from Backup Exec. Select the option to install the Symantec drivers (if you check in Device Manager, and double-click on the tape drive and go into Drivers...does it show Symantec as the driver?), and delete any devices that no longer exist. Sometimes BE needs that to happen, even it it shows up in the application.
Lastly, make sure that you have disabled Removable Storage...not needed with BE.

binayak
Level 4
Partner
Hi CraigV

could you please tell me how to run Device Configuration Wizard from BackupExec Management Console?

binayak
Level 4
Partner
If I uninstall and then reinstall the "Tape Device Drivers" agent, will it solve the problem?

binayak
Level 4
Partner
If I take backup to the hard disk, the backup rate is going on decreasing --- what is the reason for this?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Please folow the following steps ,
1) update the drivers for the scsi card , make sure the tape drive is not connected to SCSI ID 0 and 1 as ther are reserved for the bootable devices
2) reboot  the server
3)run the device configuration wizard from tool \ Wizards \device configuration wizard
4 )install the Symantec drivers
5) Shut down the media server and the Tape drive
6) Bring the tape drive on first and once it is instialized bring up the server

binayak
Level 4
Partner

I uninstalled the Tape Library Agent and then reinstall it. Now it is working fine.