cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belt Axis Error

Marc_Pelletier
Level 3
   Hello,

We have an IBM 3624 autoloader attached to a windowse sbs 2003 server running Backup Exec 10.0.5483. About 2 weeks ago Microsoft updated something that whacked our veritas device drivers. It took the technician some time to get it sorted out, and for a while (4 days) it was (not) running with the wrong drivers and spewing a bunch of invalid command errors.

After reinstalling the correct device drivers it worked ok for a week. Now the tape device has failed completely with a 'Belt Axis Error'.  It is 2 months out of warranty. Our local ibm rep says it is not reparable (without even cracking the box) and wants to sell me a new HP autloader for $6000. He says ibm does not repair, only replace.

I am going to crack the box myself and see what I can find, but am wondering if anyone here could advise me. If the problem is with the tape drive, can the drive itself be replaced independently of the autoloader? Where would one look for a source?

Is it possible that using the wrong driver has damaged the system?

Is it possible that there is in fact nothing wrong with the system and it is still a driver issue?

Thanks for any advice or tips.

Marc Pelletier
Goldak Airborne Surveys

2 REPLIES 2

Marc_Pelletier
Level 3
Sorry, that's version number 10.0.5484.

Marc

Marc_Pelletier
Level 3
Hello again,

I think I've solved the problem myself. After putsing around with the drive for most of an afternoon I took it out in the shop and blew the dust out of it. That seems to have fixed it. I'm guessing that there is an optical sensor somewhere in there that had too much dust on it. The unit wasn't even very dusty.

I'm thoroughly flabbergasted though that an IBM dealer and successful IT company could feel a 12,000 dollar device is displosable. Is this really what passes for 'technical' support these days?

cheers

Marc Pelletier